Part of a major animal welfare series, Animal Welfare: Limping Towards Eden is John Webster s new and groundbreaking work on animal welfare. Building on his first book, the highly acclaimed Animal Welfare: A Cool Eye Towards Eden, it not only critically reviews areas of development, but looks to how animal welfare can be improved in the future.
Special consideration is given to:
- Defining animal welfare ( fit and happy ) and establishing a systematic approach for its evaluation (the five freedoms );
- Providing a sound ethical framework that affords proper respect to animals within the broader context of our duties as citizens to the welfare of society;
- Developing comprehensive, robust protocols for assessing animal welfare and the provisions that constitute good husbandry;
- Introducing an education policy that will increase human awareness of animal welfare problems and promote action to reduce suffering.
1. Introduction: Facts and Values.
2. Challenge and Response.
3. Sentience, Sense and Sufferering.
4. Husbandry and Welfare on the Farm: Assessment and Assurance.
5. Animals for Food: Indutrialized Farming, Pigs and Poultry.
6. Animals for Food: Cattle and Other Ruminants.
7. Animals for Food: Handling, Transport and Slaughter.
8. Animals for Science and Biotechnology.
9. Animals for Sport.
10. Animals as Pets.
11. Limping Towards Eden: Stepping Stones.