This book first explores the history and ethos of palliative care, and then looks at palliative nursing across various care settings. It then looks at palliative nursing care for people with specific illnesses, including heart failure, dementia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cancer, and neurological conditions. Palliative care for children and young people is discussed, and then the book finally looks at education and research in palliative nursing. Palliative Nursing will be essential reading for all nurses working with palliative care patients in a non specialist role, i.e. in hospitals, primary care and nursing homes, as well as nursing students.
- Explores the palliative nursing issues related to specific diseases groups
- Written in the context of the new national tools, i.e. the end of life initiative, preferred place of care, Liverpool care pathway and Gold standards framework.
- Each chapter includes practice points and cases to allow the practitioner to undertake guided reflection to improve practice
- Written by nurses for nurses
- Provides guidance for nurses working in all four countries of the UK
Other titles of interest:Community Palliative Care: The role of the clinical nurse specialistSandra Aitken
Cancer Nursing: Care in Context 2eJessica Corner & Christopher D. Bailey
PART 1 ADULT PALLIATIVE CARE.
SECTION 1 HISTORY AND ETHOS OF PALLIATIVE CARE.
1. The History of Palliative Care.
2. Definitions and Aims of Palliative Care.
3. Providing Palliative Care for Marginalised and Disenfranchised People.
SECTION 2 PALLIATIVE NURSING CARE ACROSS CARE SETTINGS.
4. Palliative Nursing Care in the Acute Hospital.
5. Palliative Nursing Care in the Community.
6. Palliative Nursing Care in Nursing and Residential Care Homes.
7. Palliative Nursing Care in Hospices.
SECTION 3 PALLIATIVE NURSING CARE FOR PEOPLE WITH SPECIFIC ILLNESSES.
8. Palliative Nursing Care in Heart Failure.
9. Palliative Care in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
10. Palliative Care for People Who Have a Dementia.
11. Palliative Nursing Care in Other Neurological Conditions.
11.1 Huntington s Disease.
11.2 Motor Neurone Disease.
11.3 Multiple Sclerosis.
11.4 Parkinson s Disease.
12. Palliative Care for People in End Stage Renal Disease.
13. Palliative Care Issues for People with Cancer.
14. Palliative Care for People with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Imunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
PART 2 PALLIATIVE CARE FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE.
15. The History and Ethos of Palliative Care for Children and Young People.
16. Challenges of Paediatric Palliative Care in The Hospital Setting.
17. Children s Palliative Care in the Hospice and the Community.
PART 3 EDUCATION AND RESEARCH.
18. Palliative Nursing Education and Continuing Professional Development.
19. Palliative Care Research.