- covers a range of production methods from large commercial units to small hobby farms
- all major farmed species are included
- offers practical advice on ways to assure and improve welfare of farm animals
- different systems are critiqued and the welfare impacts compared.
New to this edition:
- fully revised and updated to reflect current methods and thinking
- more emphasis on general concepts and practice including new chapters on: promotion of welfare through good husbandry; welfare assessment and assurance on–farm; promotion of animal welfare in society
- new species–based chapters on: horses; camelids; pheasants; and ostriches.
Acronyms and abbreviations.
1 Husbandry and Animal Welfare (John Webster).
2 Behaviour as an Indicator of Animal Welfare (Christine Nicol).
3 Dairy Cattle (Jean Margerison).
4 Beef Cattle and Veal Calves (Bernadette Earley).
5 Sheep (Pete Goddard).
6 Pigs (Sandra Edwards).
7 Laying Hens (Graham Scott).
8 Broiler Chickens (Susan Haslam).
9 Goats (Alan Mowlem).
10 Red Deer (Alison Hanlon).
11 Horses and Donkeys (Helen (Becky) Whay).
12 Farmed Fish (Tony Wall).
13 South American Camelids (Cristian Bonacic).
14 Turkeys (Stephen Lister).
15 Ducks (Keith Gooderham).
16 Game Birds (David Welchman).
17 Ostrich (Fiona Benson).
18 Assessment, Implementation and Promotion of Farm Animal Welfare (David Main and John Webster).