The book will be of interest to anyone wanting to know more about how to improve the lives of parents and children. Special focus is placed on those families who face disadvantage, either in relation to personal vulnerabilities or in relation to living in neighbourhoods lacking in resources and facilities.
2. The Families and Neighbourhoods Study.
3. An introduction to some of the families.
4. Is this where I want to belong?
5. What can we do? Where can we go?
6. Local friends – a unique role?
7. Discipline and control.
8. Children out and about.
9. Is it better to belong to the neighbourhood?
10. Conclusions and implications for the future.
Appendix 1. The survey.
Appendix 2. The qualitative study.