Dental Management of Sleep Disorders highlights the background to these problems, discusses the dentist's role in their diagnosis and treatment, and outlines clinical strategies and guidance. The book features a full discussion of the use of oral appliances, an overview of current treatment modalities, and investigates the relationship of sleep related breathing disorders to dental and orofacial causes.
Organized to facilitate user–friendliness, the book begins with an overview of sleep medicine, providing the reader with a solid foundation in the human sleep cycle, classification of sleep disorders, and related medical and dental conditions. Subsequent chapters highlight practical application in the dental setting, including proper evaluation and imaging for sleep related breathing disorders and instruction for both surgical and non–surgical treatments.
- Provides basic foundational knowledge including physiology and pathophysiology of sleep related breathing disorders
- Contextualizes the dentist s role as a part of the medical team
- Discusses the full range of medical and dental treatment approaches to the most common sleep related breathing disorders
- Includes detailed discussion of clinical applicability of oral appliance therapy
Section 1 OVERVIEW OF SLEEP MEDICINE.
1. Impact of sleep disorders on society.
2. Human sleep.
3. Classification of sleep disorders.
4. Pediatrics and sleep–related breathing disorders
5 Medical and dental conditions related to sleep–related breathing disorders
Section 2 ASSESSMENT OF THE SLEEP–RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
6. Sleep assessment/studies.
7. Evaluation by the dentist.
8. Imaging for sleep–related breathing disorders.
Section 3 MANAGEMENT OF THE SLEEP–RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
9. Positive airway pressure therapy for sleep–related breathing disorders.
10. Surgical treatment for sleep–related breathing disorders.
11. Oral appliance therapy for sleep–related breathing disorders.
Appendix 1: Abbreviations for sleep medicine.
Appendix 2: Glossary of terms for sleep medicine.