By focusing on advances and current technologies in the diagnosis, management and treatment of endocarditis, this work provides clinicians with contemporary, multidisciplinary awareness about infectious diseases, cardiopulmonary dysfunction from sepsis and valvular destruction, application and intepretation of echocardiography, use of inotropic and vasoactive drugs, surgical options to eradicate and treat valvular infection and clinical laboratory tests to diagnose and assess adequacy of treatment. Pediatric surgery of infective endocarditis, prosthetic valve and fungal endocarditis are also special considerations.
Written by leading clinicians recognised for their respective topics, this volume is essential reading for cardiac surgeons, cardiac surgery residents and fellows, thoracic surgical specialists, and manufacturers of valve replacements and tissues. Astute clinicians who confer with these timely insights drawn from history, physiology and surgery stand for an improved outcome in endocarditis patients.
A.A. Vlessis, S.F. Bolling.
Part I: Scientific Foundation.
1. Understanding the Cardiovascular Effects of Sepsis and the Medical Therapy of Acute Valvular Destruction in Endocarditis.
B.A. Carabello, A.A. Vlessis, D.D. Trunkey.
2. Pathological and Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis of Infective Endocarditis.
J. Dahl, A.A. Vlessis.
3. Epidemiology of Native Valve Endocarditis.
D.C. Stuesse, A.A. Vlessis.
4. Epidemiology and Risk Factors for Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis.
G.L. Grunkemeier, H–H. Li.
Part II: Diagnosis.
5. Clinical Diagnosis of Infective Endocarditis.
W.S. Armstrong, M. Shea.
6. Echocardiographic Diagnosis and Findings in Infective Endocarditis.
7. Neurological Complications of Infective Endocarditis.
Part III: Management.
8. Medical Treatment and Prevention of Infective Endocarditis.
9. Aortic Valve Endocarditis.
L. Aklog, R. Gobezie, D.H. Adams.
10. Mitral Valve Endocarditis.
C.F. Schwartz, S.F. Bolling.
11. Right Heart Endocarditis.
A. Arbulu, S. Gellman, D. Levine, L.W. Stephenson.
12. Management of Annular Destruction, Fistulae and Abscesses.
A.A. Vlessis, M. Deeb, S. Bendre, D.C. Stuesse.
Part IV: Special Considerations.
13. Surgical Therapy of Infective Endocarditis in Children.
R.S. Mosca, E.L. Bove.
14. Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis.
15. Fungal Endocarditis.
Doody s Review Service
"This book is an excellent, comprehensive resource for any physician who must deal with the complexities of endocarditis."
Texas Heart Institute Journal