Completely rewritten to incorporate all the latest concepts in care and updated to reflect current practice and guidelines, this classic text retains the pragmatic features that have made it the “gold standard” reference that clinicians have relied upon for over 20 years.
- Full coverage of cardiac surgical diseases, including pathophysiology and indications for surgery, illustrations of the most common operative procedures, and figures demonstrating the diagnostic techniques used in the evaluation of cardiac disease
- Easy access to information using an outline format with markers on the free edges to identify chapters, synopsis pages at the beginning of each chapter, and a comprehensive index to locate a discussion of virtually any topic
- Emphasis on use of evidence–based medicine and common sense in patient management, providing the principles behind the recommendations for care, drawing upon the author’s vast experience in cardiac surgical management working with cardiothoracic surgical residents and physician assistants
- Updated references for all topics from the vast surgical literature
- 18 appendices, providing rapid access to order sheets, protocols, commonly used drug doses and other key information
Written for Cardiothoracic surgeons and residents, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and critical care nurses, the fifth edition of Manual of Perioperative Care in Adult Cardiac Surgery is a must–have resource for those involved in managing both routine and complex cardiac surgery patients.
Praise for previous editions
‘It remains a classic… should be available in your intensive care unit.”
From a review of the 4th edition in Annals of Thoracic Surgery
“A complete manual for students and practitioners involved in the care of cardiac surgery patients…a complete presentation of cardiac surgery….caregivers at all levels are likely to benefit by keeping this manual readily available.”
From a review of the 3rd edition in The Journal of the American College of Surgeons
“ A God–send for nurses, physician assistants, and cardiac surgeons on the firing line.”
From a review of the 2nd edition in Critical Care Medicine
1. Synopsis of Adult Cardiac Surgical Disease.
2. Diagnostic Techniques in Cardiac Surgery.
3. General Preoperative Considerations and Preparation of the Patient for Surgery.
4. Cardiac Anesthesia.
5. Cardiopulmonary Bypass.
6. Myocardial Protection.
7. Admission to the ICU and Monitoring Techniques.
8. Early Postoperative Care.
9. Mediastinal Bleeding.
10. Respiratory Management.
11. Cardiovascular Management.
12. Fluid Management, Renal, Metabolic, and Endocrine Problems.
13. Post–ICU Care and Other Complications.
Appendix 1A American College of Cardiology Classes of Recommendation and Levels of Evidence.
Appendix 1B New York Heart Association Functional Classification.
Appendix 2 Typical Preoperative Order Sheet.
Appendix 3 Typical Orders for Admission to the ICU.
Appendix 4 Typical Transfer Orders from the ICU.
Appendix 5 Typical ICU Flowsheet.
Appendix 6 Hyperglycemia Protocol for Cardiac Surgery Patients.
Appendix 7 Heparinization Protocol for Cardiac Surgery Patients.
Appendix 8 Protocol for Initiating Warfarin.
Appendix 9 INR Reversal Protocol.
Appendix 10 Drug, Food, and Dietary Supplement Interactions with Warfarin.
Appendix 11 Doses of Parenteral Medications Commonly Used in the ICU and Their Modification in Renal Failure.
Appendix 12 Doses of Nonparenteral Drugs Commonly Used After Heart Surgery and Their Modifications in Renal Failure.
Appendix 13 Definitions from the STS Data Specifications (Version 2.7 2011).
Appendix 14 Body Surface Area Nomogram.
Appendix 15 Body Mass Index Chart.
Appendix 16 Technique of Thoracentesis.
Appendix 17 Technique for Tube Thoracostomy.
Appendix 18 Technique of Insertion of Percutaneous Tracheostomy Tube.