The Handbook is structured into five sections looking at the strategic management process, the theoretical foundations of the field, various types of strategy, human factors, and teaching methods. As a whole, the volume will serve as a critical reference tool for students, scholars and professional managers.
List of Tables.
Contributors and Editors.
Part I: Origin and Process.
1. Emerging Issue in Strategy Process Research (Gregory G. Dess and G.T. Lumpkin).
2. Strategic Decision–Making (Paul C. Nutt).
3. Strategy Formulation: The Roles of Conversation and Design (Jeanne M. Liedtka).
Part II: Theoretical Foundations.
4. Strategic Flexibility in the Old and New Economies (Kathryn Rudie Harrigan).
5. The Resource–based View: Origins and Implications (jay B. Barney and Asli M. Arikan).
6. A Stakeholder Approach to Strategic Management (R. Edward Freeman and John McVea).
7. Towards a Positive Interpretation of Transaction Cost Theory: The Central Roles of Entrepreneurship and Trust (Gareth R. Jones).
8. A Strategic Management Model of Agency Relationships in Firm Governance (Michael H. Lubatkin, Peter J. Lane and William S. Schulze).
9. Risk in Strategic Management Research (Philip Bromiley, Kent D. Miller and Devaki Rau).
10. Corporate Reputations as Economic Assets (Charles J. Fombrun).
Part III: Strategy Types.
11. Competitive Dynamics Research: Critique and Future Directions (Ken G. Smith, Walter J. Ferrier and Hermann Ndofor).
12. Diversification Strategy Research at a Crossroads: Established, Emerging and Anticipated Paths (Donald D. Bergh).
13. Mergers and Acquisitions: A Value Creating or Value Destroying Strategy (Michael A. Hitt, R. Duane Irland and Jeffrey S. Harrison).
14. Strategic Alliances (Andrew C. Inkpen).
15. Restructuring Strategies of Diversified Business Groups: Differences Associated with Country Institutional Environments (Robert E. Hoskisson, Richard A. Johnson, Daphne Yiu and William P. Wan).
16. Global Strategic Management (Stephen Tallman).
Part IV: Human Factors.
17. On Strategic Judgment (Richard L. Priem and Cynthia S. Cycyota).
18. Organizational Strucutr5e: Looking Through a Strategy Lens (Barbara Keats and Hugh M. O′Neill).
19. Corporate Governance (Sayan Chatterjee and Jeffrey S. Harrison).
20. Corporate Strategy and Ethics, as Corporate Strategy Comes of Age (Daniel R. Gilert , Jr.).
21. Business and Public Policy: Competing in the Political Marketplace (Gerald Keim).
22. Implementing Strategy: An Appraisal and Agenda for Future Research (Lawrence G. Hrebiniak and William F. Joyce).
23. Human Resources Strategy: The Era of our Ways (Scott A. Snell, Mark A. Shadur and Patrick M. Wright).
24. Strategy and Entrepreneurship; Outlines of an Untold Story (S. Venkataraman and Saras D. Sarasvathy).
Part V: Teaching Methods.
25. The Strategic Management Course: Tools and Techniques for Successful Teaching (Idalene F. Kesner).