Sponsored by the Ms. Foundation,Stir It Up draws on lessons learned from Sen′s groundbreaking work with women′s groups organizing for economic justice. Throughout the book, Sen walks readers through the steps of building and mobilizing a constituency and implementing key strategies that can effect social change. The book is filled with illustrative case studies that highlight best organizing practices in action and each chapter contains tools that can help groups tailor Sen′s model for their own organizational needs.Stir It Up will show your organization how to
- Design and conduct actions that further campaign goals
- Develop effective leaders
- Build strong alliances and networks
- Generate and use solid research
- Design an effective media strategy
- Put in place a plan for internal political education and consciousness–raising
Introduction: Community Organizing—Yesterday and Today.
1. New Realities, Integrated Strategies.
2. Organizing New Constituencies.
3. Picking the Good Fight.
4. Ready, Set, Action!
5. Leading the Way.
6. Take Back the Facts.
7. United We Stand.
8. Speaking Truth to Power.
9. Education for Engagement.
Conclusion: Community Organizing—Tomorrow.