The Learning Paradigm College, John Tagg builds on the
Change magazine article he coauthored with Robert Barr in 1995, "From Teaching to Learning: A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Education." This groundbreaking book describes the paradigm shift that is taking hold in American higher education one in which the new mission of the institution is to produce learning, not simply to provide instruction.
This book offers a new lens through which readers can see their own institutions and their own work. A radically fresh perspective examines existing functional frameworks and offers a way to reenvision and recast many familiar aspects of college work and college life.
Eminently clear, accessible descriptions of the features of the Learning Paradigm are paired with actual and uplifting examples of how institutions of higher education around the country are transforming themselves into Learning Paradigm colleges.
The Learning Paradigm College is vital, optimistic, and realistic about what all those involved in higher education can achieve.
About the Author.
Part I. A New Paradigm?
1. The Challenge.
2. The Problem of Scale: Why Innovations Don t Transform Colleges.
3. The Instruction Paradigm: Process Before Purpose.
4. The Route to Transformation: The Learning Paradigm, Old and New.
Part II. The Foundation: The Learners and the Learning.
5. The Learners.
6. Self–Theories and Academic Motivation.
7. Approaches to Learning.
Part III. The Learning Environment of the College.
8. The Whole That Determines the Parts.
9. The Cognitive Economy of the Instruction Paradigm College.
Part IV. A Design for Learning.
10. The Cognitive Economy of the Learning Paradigm College.
11. A Learning Paradigm College Promotes Intrinsically Rewarding Goals.
12. A Learning Paradigm College Requires Frequent, Continual, Connected, and Authentic Student Performances.
13. A Learning Paradigm College Provides Consistent, Continual, Interactive Feedback to Students.
14. A Learning Paradigm College Provides a Long Time Horizon for Learning.
15. A Learning Paradigm College Creates Purposeful Communities of Practice.
16. A Learning Paradigm College Aligns All of Its Activities Around the Mission of Producing Student Learning.
Part V. Transforming the College.
17. Barriers to Transformation.
18. Scaffolding for Change.
19. The Golden Rule.