Risk is as inescapable as it is ubiquitous. But how far do we really understand what risk is, and how to turn its careful management to our advantage? In business and in life we tend to make broadbrush assumptions based on common sense and intuition alone rather than make any attempt to actively manage our futures in a consistent way. Risk management has evolved to become a primary ingredient for success in every organization that is bombarded by the need to make critical decisions, often with little or no solid facts available and little insight into the likely outcome. Managing risk is not just about avoiding trouble. It can also bring significant rewards.
Smart Risk starts from basics. It assumes no prior knowledge and gives a step–by–step approach, along with plenty of practical application and techniques, tools and models for managing risk. You will be given everything you need to become the risk master in your organization. This includes:
- understanding what risk management is and why it matters
- recognising the complete risk landscape by understanding the categories of risk
- knowing your risk appetite; the risks you are willing to take and those you aren′t
- developing a risk culture by formalising the risk management process
- learning from success and failure
- understanding that risk management is closely linked to innovation, vital for the long–term survival of the organisation
"Where there is risk, there is opportunity" [source of quote?]
1. The Foundations of Risk Management.
2. Categories of Risk.
3. Smart Thinking I: Know Your Risk Appetite.
4. Smart Thinking II: Formalise the Process.
5. Smart Thinking III: Develop a Risk Culture.
6. Smart thinking IV: Learn From Success and Failure.
7. Risk Management and Decision Support.
8. Risk Management and Innovation.
9. Looking Forward to a Risk–free Future?