"This book is an indispensable asset for any corporate executive facing the inevitability of crisis control." Craig L. Fuller, Senior Vice President, Philip Morris Companies Inc.
" Whether dealing with a sudden crisis of unimaginable size or the daily press of issues, each has the potential to explode into a major catastrophe. Overdrive gives specific answers to questions that you hoped you′d never have to ask. Silva and McGann offer practical, proven solutions that every executive needs in order to lead in our crisis filled times." Bruce L. Christensen, Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications, Brigham Young University, Former President and Chief Executive Officer of PBS
It used to be that crisis was something that only happened to companies in trouble. But in today′s turbulent, hotly competitive global marketplace, crisis is a permanent fact of life in every business organization, and the new name of the management game is "crisis management." Now in this groundbreaking book, Michael Silva (Creating Excellence) and Terry McGann tell you exactly what the new rules of the game are, and, more importantly, how to play to win!
- Teaches you practical lessons in how to strategically manage crisis to forge stronger, more competitive companies
- Provides a rational, innovative framework for thinking about and responding to crisis
- Shows you how to leverage the opportunities that crises present for changing the rules of the game and making strategic breakthroughs
- Brings abstract concepts to vivid life with scores of vignettes and case studies from a wide range of industries and dozens of businesses, both large and small
- Based on the authors′ years of experience as crisis management consultants to top Fortune 500 companies
Crisis happens only to companies in trouble, it is always somebody′s fault, it is always destructive, and a lot of it in an organization indicates an inability to manage crisis effectively . . .right? Wrong! Despite the fact that most executives surveyed claim to spend at least seventy–five percent of their time putting out fires, most businesspeople continue to cling to these and other dangerously outdated myths about crisis. The truth is, in today′s ever more chaotic, fiercely competitive global marketplace, crisis is an inescapable fact of life for every business organization especially the ambitious ones. In fact, many top business thinkers now view crisis as an indispensable catalyst for strategic growth and competitive strength.
Now, in this groundbreaking new book, Michael Silva author of the bestselling, Creating Excellence and Terry McGann, arm you with a blueprint for success in these crisis–ridden times. Offering important practical lessons in strategic crisis management, they school managers in all the cutting–edge leadership and management skills they need not only to survive crisis, but to use it to forge stronger, more competitive companies. Drawing on their years of experience as crisis management consultants to the Fortune 500, as well as the experiences of dozens of companies whose stories they vividly tell, Silva and McGann:
- Separate crisis management myth from reality and provide a rational and innovative framework for thinking about and responding to crisis
- Help you to recognize and leverage the opportunities that crises present for changing the rules of the game and making strategic breakthroughs
- Help you to forge a new organizational vision founded upon the three crucial factors of crisis prevention, crisis identification, and crisis solution
- Offer crisis management guidelines based on the golden rules of Vision (see it all, see it fast), Values (say it all, say it fast), and Versatility (change it all, change it fast)
- Bring abstract concepts to vivid life with scores of vignettes and examples from a wide range of industries and scores of businesses.
Crisis has become a permanent player in the management game for all companies corporate high–rollers and "mom and pop" retailers alike. Read Overdrive, and find out what the new rules of the game are, and, more importantly, learn how to play to win!
CRISIS MYTHS AND CRISIS REALITIES.
The Four Horsemen of Crisis: Technology, Shifting Trends, Corporate Aging, and Global Capitalism.
A Fine Line: Crisis that Destroys and Crisis that Creates.
When the Wings Fall Off: Why Contingency Plans Don′t Work.
The Myths of the Lone Wolf: Teamwork and Crisis Management.
THINKING ABOUT CRISIS: FIGHTING THE ERRORS OF CRISIS MANAGEMENT.
Spin Over Substance: When the Facts Aren′t Friendly.
Moving from Your Comfort Zone: Travel Light and Travel Fast.
MANAGING THE DANGERS OF CRISIS.
Insight, Decision Making, Communication, and Focus: The Four Skills for Managing Crisis.
What You See Is What You Get: How Corporate Values Undermine Action During Crisis.
THE THREE RULES OF CRISIS MANAGEMENT.
Vision––See It All, See It Fast: The Five–Minute Audit.
Versatility––Change It All, Change It Fast.