A groundbreaking exploration of the critical ethical issues in financial theory and practice
Compiled by volume editor John Boatright, Finance Ethics consists of contributions from scholars from many different finance disciplines.
It covers key issues in financial markets, financial services, financial management, and finance theory, and includes chapters on market regulation, due diligence, reputational risk, insider trading, derivative contracts, hedge funds, mutual and pension funds, insurance, socially responsible investing, microfinance, earnings management, risk management, bankruptcy, executive compensation, hostile takeovers, and boards of directors.
- Special attention is given to fairness in markets and the delivery of financial services, and to the duties of fiduciaries and agents
- Rigorous analysis of the topics covered provides essential information and practical guidance for practitioners in finance as well as for students and academics with an interest in finance ethics
Ethics in Finance skillfully explains the need for ethics in the personal conduct of finance professionals and the operation of financial markets and institutions.
1. Ethics in Finance (John R. Boatright).
Part II Finance Theory.
2. Ethical Implications of Finance (Robert W. Kolb).
3. Behavioral Assumptions of Finance (John Dobson).
4. Efficiency and Rationality (Nien-hê Hsieh).
5. Risk, Return, and Financial Due Diligence (Christopher L. Culp and J. B. Heaton).
6. Reputational Risk (Ingo Walter).
7. Agency Theory (Joseph Heath).
8. Financial Theory of the Firm (Wayne Norman).
Part III Financial Markets.
9. Fairness in Markets (Eugene Heath).
10. Market Regulation (Edward Soule).
11. Insider Trading (Peter-Jan Engelen and Luc Van Liedekerke).
12. Derivative Contracts: Futures, Options, and Swaps (James A. Overdahl).
13. Hedge Funds (Thomas Donaldson).
14. Sovereign Wealth Funds (Colleen Baker).
Part IV Financial Services.
15. Marketing of Financial Services (George G. Brenkert).
16. Financial Codes of Ethics (Julie A. Ragatz and Ronald F. Duska).
17. Banking (Christopher J. Cowton).
18. Mutual Funds (D. Bruce Johnsen).
19. Pension Funds (David Hess).
20. Insurance (Ronald F. Duska and Julie A. Ragatz).
21. Socially Responsible Investing (Céline Louche and Steven Lydenberg).
22. Microfinance (Antonio Argandona).
Part V Financial Management.
23. Shareholder Wealth Maximization (Duane Windsor).
24. Earnings Management (Leonard J. Brooks).
25. Investor Relations (Cynthia Clark Williams and Lori Verstegen Ryan).
26. Risk Management (Peter C. Young).
27. Bankruptcy (Ben S. Branch and Jennifer S. Taub).
28. Acquisitions, Mergers, and Takeovers (Anthony F. Buono and Roy A. Wiggins III).
29. Executive Compensation (John J. McCall).
30. Boards of Directors (Dan R. Dalton and Catherine M. Dalton).