A groundbreaking exploration of the critical ethical issues in financial theory and practice
The Robert W. Kolb Series in Finance is an unparalleled source of information dedicated to the most important issues in modern finance. Each book focuses on a specific topic in the field of finance and contains contributed chapters from both respected academics and experienced financial professionals. As part of the Robert W. Kolb Series in Finance, Finance Ethics aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the ever–changing ethical issues that confront finance professionals today.
John R. Boatright, editor of this volume, draws together the contributions of distinguished scholars from a wide range of disciplines including finance, economics, philosophy, management, and law to present essential perspectives on various ethics issues facing the financial services industry. While providing a rigorous analysis of all the topics covered from due diligence and insider trading to socially responsible investing, executive compensation, and more the book focuses special attention on fairness in markets and the delivery of financial services, as well as the duties of fiduciaries and agents.
Finance Ethics provides essential information and practical guidance for both practitioners in finance and students and academics with an interest in finance ethics.
1. Ethics in Finance (John R. Boatright).
Part II Finance Theory.
2. Ethical Implications of Finance (Robert W. Kolb).
3. Behavioral Assumptions of Finance (John Dobson).
4. Efficiency and Rationality (Nien–hê Hsieh).
5. Risk, Return, and Financial Due Diligence (Christopher L. Culp and J. B. Heaton).
6. Reputational Risk (Ingo Walter).
7. Agency Theory (Joseph Heath).
8. Financial Theory of the Firm (Wayne Norman).
Part III Financial Markets.
9. Fairness in Markets (Eugene Heath).
10. Market Regulation (Edward Soule).
11. Insider Trading (Peter–Jan Engelen and Luc Van Liedekerke).
12. Derivative Contracts: Futures, Options, and Swaps (James A. Overdahl).
13. Hedge Funds (Thomas Donaldson).
14. Sovereign Wealth Funds (Colleen Baker).
Part IV Financial Services.
15. Marketing of Financial Services (George G. Brenkert).
16. Financial Codes of Ethics (Julie A. Ragatz and Ronald F. Duska).
17. Banking (Christopher J. Cowton).
18. Mutual Funds (D. Bruce Johnsen).
19. Pension Funds (David Hess).
20. Insurance (Ronald F. Duska and Julie A. Ragatz).
21. Socially Responsible Investing (Céline Louche and Steven Lydenberg).
22. Microfinance (Antonio Argandona).
Part V Financial Management.
23. Shareholder Wealth Maximization (Duane Windsor).
24. Earnings Management (Leonard J. Brooks).
25. Investor Relations (Cynthia Clark Williams and Lori Verstegen Ryan).
26. Risk Management (Peter C. Young).
27. Bankruptcy (Ben S. Branch and Jennifer S. Taub).
28. Acquisitions, Mergers, and Takeovers (Anthony F. Buono and Roy A. Wiggins III).
29. Executive Compensation (John J. McCall).
30. Boards of Directors (Dan R. Dalton and Catherine M. Dalton).