Introduction to the second edition.
PART I: BUSINESS BASICS.
1. Business basics.
2. The business environment.
3. Management styles: From Taylorism to McKinsey’s 7Ss.
4. Management of quality.
5. Materials management.
6. Managing design and new product development.
8. Managing to succeed.
PART II: MANAGING ENGINEERING RESOURCES.
9. Human resource management – the individual.
10. Groups of people.
12. Work study.
13. Costing and pricing.
14. Measuring financial performance.
15. Project investment decisions.
16. Maintenance management.
17. Project management.
18. Networks for projects.
19. Project management – managing construction procurement.
20. Inventory management.
21. Management of the supply system.
23. A case study in starting an SME.
Appendix 1: A guide to writing a business plan.
Appendix 2: Quality management tools.
Appendix 3: Case study: Developing a network.
Appendix 4: DCF tables.
Andrew C. Payne City University in London.
Lawrence R. P. Reavill University of London and The Open University.