"Make the Right Career Move is a wonderful guide for the new age professional. This book will help you execute one of the most important decisions in your life and includes practical tips that you will use for the rest of your career."
--Marshall Goldsmith, bestselling author of The Leader of the Future and What Got You Here Won't Get You There
"This great new book will help thousands of businesspeople find not only a new job, but a satisfying career. This book is filled with practical tools and exercises that will help the reader identify what they really want from their career, write a winning resume, and, most important of all, position themselves for the job."
--Victoria Husted Medvec, Adeline Barry Davee Professor of Management and Organizations Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University Executive Director of the Center for Executive Women
"This is the book that all busy executives need--an indispensable guide to finding your ideal job and getting it--all in a short, action-oriented package. I highly recommend this book."
--Les Guliasi, Director, Governmental Relations, Pacific Gas & Electric Company
"I have been waiting for a comprehensive and relevant guide to careers that I can recommend to my clients, candidates, and colleagues. Make the Right Career Move provides an up-to-date approach to navigating careers in our ever-changing and challenging workplace."
--Eunice Azzani, Senior Client Partner, Korn/Ferry International
"In my many years working in the career field, here is the first book that guides attorneys and executives on making the right move to their next job, career, or board position. It's action-oriented, quick-to-read, and it's not bogged down with theory. It provides tested, practical tools to help readers get their dream job."
--Martha Fay Africa, Managing Director and cofounder, Major, Lindsey & Africa
STAGE ONE: DEFINING THE RIGHT JOB.
1. Imagine Career Possibilities.
2. Three Executive Obstacles to Job Search.
3. Career Satisfaction: The Elusive and Essential Ingredient of the Right Move.
4. Turn Career Possibilities into Targets.
5. The Portfolio of Career Skills and Accomplishments.
STAGE TWO: PREPARING THE TOOLS TO FIND THE RIGHT JOB.
Career Tool 1: Resume.
6. The Resume as a Confidence Booster.
7. Redefine Your Resume.
8. Three Approaches to Accomplishments.
9. Maximize Accomplishment Impact.
10. Pick the Best Resume Format.
11. Optimize Resume Length.
12. The Myth of Multiple Resumes.
13. Optimize Resume Structure.
14. The Importance of a Career Summary.
Career Tool 2: Competitive Advantages.
15. Introducing Competitive Advantages.
16. How and Why Competitive Advantages Work.
17. Build a List of Competitive Advantages.
18. Create a Competitive Advantage Story.
Career Tool 3: Interview Skills.
19. The Three Elements of Fit.
20. Before the Interview.
21. The Importance of Interview Questions.
22. During the Interview.
23. The Top Interview Requirement.
24. After the Interview.
STAGE THREE: FINDING THE RIGHT JOB.
25. Job Search Strategies to Optimize Time and Impact.
26. Make Proper Use of the Internet.
27. The Game Plan.
28. Track Your Progress.
A. Using the Process to Find an Ideal Job.
B. Action Verbs.
C. Sample Accomplishments.
D. About the Resume.
E. The Role of Information and Research in Your Job Search.