career and corporate cool™
Imagine if life came with a handbook to help get you through just about every potentially awkward, stressful, or over–the–top situation, with humor, grace, and dignity intact. Life doesn′t come with a handbookbut now business does. In Career and Corporate Cool™, style and marketing maven Rachel Weingarten defines and details the elements necessary to succeed and stand out in the modern work environment. It′s filled with witty and user–friendly advice on building your personal brand equity in the business world while staying true to yourself. A hybrid of business and style, it′s a cheat sheet for your professional life, with fun and helpful anecdotes from people who′ve been there.
While an off–color joke generally won′t play in a cubicle environment, it can be a job requirement for a professional comedian. Fortune 500 companies tend to frown on perceived sexual harassment in the workplace while massage therapists touch naked strangers on a daily basis. Career and Corporate Cool helps you understand not only what′s appropriate and acceptable in your own work environment, but how best to translate and incorporate your personal style into the accepted mix.
Proving that smart business and great style aren′t mutually exclusive, Weingarten covers topics that help you define and refine crucial elements of your professional persona:
Communication Skillsfrom the basics to the personalized details that get you noticed
Networkingwhich contacts are worth pursuing, and how to initiate, create, and maintain relationships
Fashion, Beauty, and Grooming Advicetranslate your day–to–day look to a polished style that best suits you
Quizzes and Worksheetsto help you evaluate your cool quotient
Business Etiquettesocial rules and tools to ease you through every situation
Gender Differences in the Workplacenavigate the differences between male and female work styles
Advice from Expertslearn from their successes and failures
For most people, careers happen in the daytime while cool is for after hours. With common sense and a sharp sense of humor, Weingarten helps you add effortless cool to all elements of your work life. Career and Corporate Cool is a must–have reference manual for the desk set.
1. What is Career & Corporate Cool? (And where can I get some?).
2. Who Are You? (Quizzes and questions to help you to define your personal style).
3. Culture Club (How to understand your firm′s unique corporate culture and adapt to it without becoming just another cog).
4. Career–O–Rama––(How to dress, act and interact whether you′re at a Fortune 500 Company or a junior executive at an ad agency).
5. Attitude Adjustment– (Quick fixes for common mistakes to help you to fit in anywhere, and if all else fails fake it ′til you make it).
6. Personality Plus (The right etiquette, social rules and tools to help you up the corporate ladder).
7. Accessorize! (From your earrings to your laptop case, what your add on say about you).
8. Extra–Curricular Activities (How to dress and act while on the clock away from the office– at company).
9. Entrepreneurial Extras (Working from home doesn′t mean sweats and fuzzy slippers, how to clean up for any occasion).
10. Hello Gorgeous!(How having a perfectly polished face, subtly gleaming hair and a non–offensive cloud of perfume can make you more professional).
11. He Says/She Says–(Understand and navigate the differences between male and female work styles).
12. Eat to Live (Healthy nutrition and on the go snacking tips for maximum productivity).
13. The Best Guest Or Hostess with the Mostest (Be A Great Guest Or Plan/Throw/Host A Perfect Event Without Losing Your Sanity).
14. On the Road (Protocol, packing tips and fashion advice for business travel).
15. Emergency! Don′t Hide If You Eek – Instead Learn To Accentuate the Negative (Fast fixes in a hurry– how to gracefully family emergencies, the flu, maternity leave and more).
16. Take Note (Present yourself perfectly in your memos, email, IM and phone messages).
17. Let′s Hear it for The Boy (Give your significant other an instant–makeover and make him date worthy for work related events– or better yet, just tell him to read this chapter).
18. Little Black Book (Some top secret resources you′ll need to succeed).
19. Corporate Cool Hall of Fame (Famous CEOs, Entrepreneurs and Film Icons who have the style we covet).
20. The Twenty Three Rules Of Career And Corporate Cool (Twenty three ways that good business meets great style).