Founding and nurturing a technology startup through its growth to a successful IPO or sale requires an understanding of the business terms, customary contractual provisions, legal background, tax issues, and "how–to′s" applicable to each stage. Legal and business issues are intertwined, and mistakes are costly. Part legal primer, part business primer, Lifecycle of a Technology Company provides comprehensive and understandable advice about the key legal and business issues that arise over the life of an emerging growth company.
This guide is full of practical, hands–on advice for:
- Entrepreneurs and executives who want an in–depth understanding of the legal milieu in which they operate
- Venture capital and other investment professionals who want to better understand the legal rationale behind their investment deals with portfolio companies, as well as key legal issues facing these portfolio companies
- Lawyers who would like to know, or need a refresher on, what they should be discussing with technology companies and other startup clients seeking advice on critical transactions
- International lawyers, entrepreneurs, and investors who want insight into the legal and business aspects of the U.S. technology revolution
- Law students who want to get a jump on real–world business law practice
- Business school students who want to level the playing field for their first encounters with business lawyers
Lifecycle of a Technology Company covers issues relating to:
- Choice of entity
- Arrangements among the founders concerning equity compensation
- Tricks and traps in venture financings and debt financings
- Basics of intellectual property protection and license agreements
- How to conduct a private placement
- How to prepare for an IPO
- Fundamentals of public company regulation
- The acquisition process and key negotiating points for buyers and sellers
Appendices include model or sample documents for a number of common transactions, as well as additional materials.
A must–read for anyone associated with a technology company, from entrepreneurs and CEOs and CFOs to venture capitalists, as well as their legal and professional advisors, Lifecycle of a Technology Company will guide readers through the many challenges, opportunities, and legal and business pitfalls that arise at every stage of their business.
About the Website .
Chapter 1. Startup Phase.
Founders′ Contractual Arrangements and Mechanics of the Incorporation Process.
Choice of Entity.
Stock Option Plans and Other Equity Compensation Arrangements.
Chapter 2. Financing The Venture.
Venture Capital Financings.
Basics of Debt Financing.
A Brief Introduction to the Structure and Operation of Venture Capital and Buyout Funds.
Chapter 3. Intellectual Property Protection.
Basics of Intellectual Property Protection.
Technology Licensing: Advanced Topics.
Chapter 4. Private Placements, Initial Public Offerings, And Public Company Regulation.
Basics of Securities Regulation for Private Companies.
Initial Public Offerings.
Public Company Regulation.
Chapter 5. Acquisitions.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Structuring Considerations.
Overview of an Acquisition Agreement.