This insightful book covers topics such as:
- Management of guilt and shame
- Roles of directiveness in patient care
- How a healthcare professional can expand counseling skills
- Understanding the distinction between education and counseling
- Detailed analysis of a genetic counseling session
Providing practical and clinically meaningful ways to enhance counseling skills of genetic counselors, physicians, nurses, social workers, and other healthcare professionals, Psyche and Helix: Psychological Aspects of Genetic Counseling consists of essays compiled over two decades, which will serve as a primary source of information for healthcare professionals who render genetic counseling.
Quantitative Analysis of a Transcript of a Genetic Counseling Session.
Management of Guilt and Shame.
Suffering and Countertransference.
Preselection: A Family Coping Strategy in Huntington Disease.
Advanced Counseling Techniques.
More on Counseling Skills.
Empathy and Decency.
A Critical Review of the Literature Dealing with Education and Reproduction.
Teaching and Counseling.
Thoughts on Directiveness.
Notes and Reflections.