- Explores religion both as a social phenomenon and as a form of inner experience.
- Explains why people believe what they do.
- Looks at the effects of religious and spiritual belief upon behaviour, and upon physical and psychological health.
- Outlines the various approaches to religious and spiritual experience.
- Surveys all relevant research.
1. Why the Psychology of Religion?.
2. Definitions and Meanings.
3. Introspection and Inner Experience.
4. Approaches to the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality.
5. Religious Beliefs and Practices.
6. Approaches to Spiritual Development.
7. Spirituality and the Brain.
8. The Origins of Religious Belief.
9. Religious Expression in Myth and the Creative Arts.
10. Varieties of Religious and Spiritual Experience.
11. Concepts of Self Soul and Brain.
12. Religion Health and Well-Being.