This book looks at the inter–ethnic relations, racial prejudice, gender equality, the development of ethnic identity; bilingualism; the practice of home religion; and scholastic achievement and adjustment. Its aim it to provide an up–to–date picture of the situation of South Asian and Chinese adolescents living in the UK today.
2. First Generation: religion, value orientations and gender issues.
3. Adolescents of the Second and Third Generation.
4. Ethnic Identity, Acculturation and Self–Image.
5. Schools and Asian Young People.
6. Reflections and Implications.
′In his usual lucid and pointed style Ghuman analyses both the negative and the positive aspects of bi–cultural socialisation across the range of domains which are central to the experiences of this age group. This book, which is both scholarly and interesting, is destined to become the definitive work on this important topic.′ Ray Cochrane, Professor of Psychology, University of Birmingham, UK.