As you proceed, you will build a number of fully functional applications. You ll be introduced to basic programming logic, relational databases, OOP, PEAR, GTK, MSI, CLI, SQLite, and more. When you re finished, you will understand how to create, test, debug, and put your applications to work in the real world.
What you will learn from this book
- The fundamentals of object–oriented programming in PHP5
- How to write PHP5 applications that run on Windows®, Linux®, Mac OS® X, and other operating systems
- Why PHP5 works effectively in small to enterprise–level applications
- Error handling with try/catch
- Data manipulation in MySQL® using PHP
- How to build practical applications such as an online text editor, a Web–based e–mail application, and an object–oriented contact manager application
- Command–line scripting and GUI application development
- Effective methods of maintaining and organizing your code, and more
Who this book is for
This book is for beginning programmers as well as experienced developers who want to learn what is possible with the latest version of PHP.
Chapter 1: Getting Up and Running.
Chapter 2: Writing Simple Programs.
Chapter 3: PHP, HTML, and State.
Chapter 4: Decisions, Loops, and Arrays.
Chapter 5: Robust and Healthy Code.
Chapter 6: Writing High–Quality Code.
Chapter 7: Files and Directories.
Chapter 8: XML.
Chapter 9: An Introduction to Databases and SQL.
Chapter 10: Retrieving Data from MySQL Using PHP.
Chapter 11: Using PHP to Manipulate Data in MySQL.
Chapter 12: An Introduction to Object–Oriented Programming.
Chapter 13: Working with UML and Classes.
Chapter 14: PEAR.
Chapter 15: PHP5 and E–Mail.
Chapter 16: Generating Graphics.
Chapter 17: Case Study: A PHP Logging Agent.
Appendix A: Answers.
Appendix B: PHP Functions Reference.
Appendix C: Using SQLite.
Appendix D: ODBC.
Appendix E: PHP CLI.
Appendix F: Configuring PHP5.