With chapters on using regular expressions with popular Windows platform software including databases, cross platform scripting languages, and programming languages, you′ll learn to make effective use of the power provided by regular expressions once you fully comprehend their strengths and potential.
What you will learn from this book
- Fundamental concepts of regular expressions and how to write them
- How to break down a text manipulation problem into component parts so you can then logically construct a regular expression pattern
- How to use regular expressions in several scripting and programming languages and software packages
- The variations that exist among regular expression dialects
- Reusable, real–world working code that can be used to solve everyday regular expression problems
Who this book is for
This book is for developers who need to manipulate text but are new to regular expressions. Some basic programming or scripting experience is useful but not required.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Regular Expressions.
Chapter 2: Regular Expression Tools and an Approach to Using Them.
Chapter 3: Simple Regular Expressions.
Chapter 4: Metacharacters and Modifiers.
Chapter 5: Character Classes.
Chapter 6: String, Line, and Word Boundaries.
Chapter 7: Parentheses in Regular Expressions.
Chapter 8: Lookahead and Lookbehind.
Chapter 9: Sensitivity and Specificity of Regular Expressions.
Chapter 10: Documenting and Debugging Regular Expressions.
Chapter 11: Regular Expressions in Microsoft Word.
Chapter 12: Regular Expressions in StarOffice/OpenOffice.org Writer.
Chapter 13: Regular Expressions Using findstr.
Chapter 14: PowerGREP.
Chapter 15: Wildcards in Microsoft Excel.
Chapter 16: Regular Expression Functionality in SQL Server 2000.
Chapter 17: Using Regular Expressions with MySQL.
Chapter 18: Regular Expressions and Microsoft Access.
Chapter 20: Regular Expressions and VBScript.
Chapter 21: Visual Basic .NET and Regular Expressions.
Chapter 22: C# and Regular Expressions.
Chapter 23: PHP and Regular Expressions.
Chapter 24: Regular Expressions in W3C XML Schema.
Chapter 25: Regular Expressions in Java.
Chapter 26: Regular Expressions in Perl.
Appendix A: Exercise Answers.