- The second in a two-volume anthology representing the best articles published in The Journal of Historical Sociology over the last twenty years.
- Includes essays, debates and responses written by internationally distinguished historians, sociologists, anthropologists and geographers as well as by pioneering newer scholars have been influential in challenging and redefining the field of historical sociology.
- Spans a range of issues and topics that combine rich empirical scholarship with sophisticated theoretical engagement, bringing together the very best of the JHS.
- Challenges the nature of undertaking interdisciplinary work within history and the social sciences.
- A wide exploration of the historiographical, taking us beyond Europe and often highlighting unconventional approaches to the disciplines.
Preface: A Curious Little Magazine 1
An Introduction: Volume 2, Challenging the Field 5
Violence and Resistance in the Americas: The Legacy of Conquest 9
JHS Vol. 3, No. 3, 1990
The Stars Beneath Alabama (For Molly Jarboe) 25
JHS Vol. 19, No. 4, 2006
Reported Speech and Other Kinds of Testimony 56
JHS Vol. 13, No. 3, 2000
Modernism and the Machine Farmer 84
JHS Vol. 13, No. 2, 2000
Dutchman Ghosts and the History Mystery: Ritual, Colonizer, and Colonized Interpretations of the 1763 Berbice Slave Rebellion 106
BRACKETTE F. WILLIAMS
JHS Vol. 3, No. 2, 1990
The Lips of the Dead and the ‘Kiss of Life’: The Contemporary Deathbed and the Aesthetic of CPR 139
JHS Vol. 15, No. 3, 2002
The Survivors: My Last Sixty-Six Long-Playing Records – For Ray Smith and Bob Glass 185
JHS Vol. 12, No. 1, 1999
The Strange Career of the Canadian Beaver: Anthropomorphic Discourses and Imperial History 202
JHS Vol. 17, No.s 2/3, 2004
A Response to Margot Francis 233
JHS Vol. 18, No.s 1/2, 2005
Corruption in Low Places: Sewers and Succession to Political Office 236
JHS Vol. 14, No. 2, 2001
On the local construction of statistical knowledge: Making up the 1861 census of the Canadas 253
JHS Vol. 7, No. 4, 1994
Borders and Boundaries of State and Self at the End of Empire 273
JHS Vol. 4, No. 1, 1991
Making Algeria French and Unmaking French Algeria 297
JHS Vol. 3, No. 4, 1990
Living In and With Deep Time 321 Public Lecture, XII David Nichol Smith Conference, July 19, 2004
JHS Vol. 18, No. 4, 2005