In conclusion, McLean asks whether new technology widens or narrows our democratic horizons, and points to the technical and logical boundaries of democracy. Democracy and New Technology will be of great interest to students and researchers in politics, sociology, and media and communications studies. It is one of very few books to explain social choice theory in totally non–technical language and to explore what it means for democracy.
1. What is Democracy? Some Traditional Answers.
2. Are Modern Western Societies Democratic?.
3. New Technology and Democracy.
4. What New Technology can do for Direct Democracy.
5. What New Technology can do for Representative Democracy.
Glossary of Technical Terms.