Poster assesses the contributions of theorists such as Baudrillard, Lyotard, Habermas, Haraway and Guattari. He also develops further his own distinctive and original approach, building on his previous book The Mode of Information. Finally, Poster analyzes various cultural materials in the light of his approach: Spike Lee′s Do the Right Thing, Richard Wagner′s Ring of the Nibelung, and the televised reporting of the Gulf War.
The Second Media Age will be essential reading for students in media studies, cultural studies, sociology and social theory.
1. Social Theory and the New Media.
2. Postmodern Virtualities.
3. Postmodernity and the Politics of Multiculturalism.
4. The Mode of Information and Postmodernity.
5. Databases as Discourse, or Electronic Interpellations.
6. Critical Theory and TechnoCulture: Habermas and Baudrillard.
Part II: Medias: .
7. Politics in the Mode of Information: Spike Lee′s Do the Right Thing. .
9. What Does Wotan Want? Ambivalent Feminism in Wagner′s Ring. .
10. War in the Mode of Information.