2. Gender Bias and the ′Marriage Squeeze′ in China, South Korea, and India: Monica Das Gupta and Li Shuzhuo (The World Bank and Xi′and Jiaotong University).
3. Development and Rising Female Demographic Disadvantage in India 1981–1991: What is the Role of Sex Selective Female Abortion and Female Infanticide?: S. Sudha and S. Irudaya Rajan (Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram).
4. The Conditions and Consequences of Choice: Reflections on the Measurement of Women′s Empowerment: Naila Kabeer (Institute of Development Studies, Brighton, UK).
5. Gendering Poverty: A Review of Six World Bank African Poverty Assessments: Matthew Lockwood and Ann Whitehead (Christian Aid and University of Sussex).
6. Labour–Intensive Growth, Poverty and Gender: Neo–Classical, Institutionalist and Feminist Accounts: Shahra Razavi (United Nations Research Institute for Social Development).
7. Engendering Poverty Alleviation: The Challenges and Opportunities in the 1990s: Gita Sen (DAWN and Indian Institute of Management).