- Anthologizes the most influential and critically received essays that have shaped the trajectory of diaspora studies.
- Offers classic statements that have defined the field by scholars including Appadurai, Gilroy, Radhakrishnan, and Hall.
- Presents divergent strains of multiple diasporas, including Chinese, Black African, Jewish, South Asian, Latin American, and Caribbean.
- Reflects the modalities and methodologies of scholars across the humanities and social sciences.
- Includes a postscript on diaspora in cyberspace and an extensive bibliography.
Nation, Migration, Globalization: Points Of Contention In Diaspora Studies. (Jana Evans Braziel And Anita Mannur).
Part I: Modernity, Globalism, And Diaspora.
1. Disjuncture And Difference In The Global Cultural Economy. (Arjun Appadurai).
2. The Black Atlantic As A Counterculture Of Modernity. (Paul Gilroy).
Additional Readings On Modernity, Globalism, And Diaspora.
Part II: Ethnicity, Identity, And Diaspora.
3. Diaspora: Generational Ground Of Jewish Diaspora. (Daniel Boyarin And Jonathan Boyarin).
4. Ethnicity In An Age Of Diaspora. (R. Radhakrishnan).
5. Heterogeneity, Hybridity, Multiplicity: Making Asian American Differences. (Lisa Lowe).
Additional Readings On Ethnicity, Identity, And Diaspora.
Part III: Sexuality, Gender, And Diaspora.
6. Against The Lures Of Diaspora: Minority Discourse, Chinese Women And Intellectual Hegemony. (Rey Chow).
7. Returning(S): Relocating The Critical Feminist Auto-Ethnographer. (Jayne O. Ifekwunigwe).
8. In The Shadows Of Stonewall: Examining Gay Transnational Politics And The Diasporic Dilemma. (Martin F. Manalansan IV).
Additional Readings In Sexuality, Gender, And Diaspora.
Part IV: Cultural Production And Diaspora.
9. Cultural Identity And Diaspora Stuart Hall.
10. Diaspora Culture And The Dialogic Imagination. (Kobena Mercer).
11. Nostalgia, Desire, Diaspora: South Asian Sexualities In Motion. (Gayatri Gopinath).
Additional Readings On Cultural Production And Diaspora.
Post-Script: Cyber-Scapes And The Interfacing Of Diaspora. (Anita Mannur).
Additional Readings On Diaspora And Cyberelectronics.
Selected Bibliography of Works on Diaspora (Anita Mannur).