This Companion provides the reader with an indispensable and authoritative overview of the key debates, controversies, and questions concerning the city from a variety of theoretical vantage points with an international perspective.
List of Illustrations.
Part I: Imagining Cities:.
1 City Imaginaries: Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson.
2. Three Urban Discourses: John Rennie Short.
3. Putting Cities First: Re–mapping the Origins of Urbanism: Ed Soja.
4. Photourbanism: Planning the City from Above and from Below: Anthony Vidler.
5. The Immaterial City: Representation, Imagination and Media Technologies: James Donald.
6. Film, Representation and Naples: Lesley Caldwell.
7. The City as an Imperial Centre: Imagining London in two Caribbean Novels: Riad Akbur.
8. Sleepwalking the Modern City: Walter Benjamin and Sigmund Freud in the World of Dreams: Steve Pile.
9. Contested Images of the City. City as Locus of Status, Capitalist Accumulation and Community – Competing Cultures in Southeast Asian Societies: Patrick Guinness.
Part II: The Economy and the City:.
10. City Economies: Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson.
11. The Economic Base of Contemporary Cities: Ash Amin.
12. Flexible Marxism and the Metropolis: Andy Merrifield.
13. Mono Centric and Poli Centric: New Urban Forms and Old Urban Paradigms: William A. V. Clark.
14. Ups and Downs in the Global City: London and New York at the Millennium: Susan S. Fainstein and Michael Harloe.
15. Analytic Borderlands: Economy and Culture in the Global City: Saskia Sassen.
16. Turbulence and Sedimentation in the Labour Markets of Late 20th Century Metropoles: Nick Buck and Ian Gordon.
17. Informational Cities: Bob Catterall.
18. Diaspora Chinese Capital and Asia Pacific Urban Development: Chung–Tong Wu.
19. Capitalizing on Havana: The Return of the Repressed in a Late Socialist Society: Charles Rutheiser.
20. Urban Transformation in the Capitals of the Baltic: Innovation Culture and Finance: Philip Cooke, Erik Terk, Raite Karnite, Giedrius Blagnys.
Part III: Cities of Division and Difference:.
21. City Differences: Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson.
22. Postcolonialism, Representation and the City: Anthony King.
23. Cities of Polarisation and Marginalization: Peter Marcuse.
24. Citizenship, Multiculturalism and the European City: Alisdair Rogers.
25. Working out the Urban: Gender Relations and the City: Liz Bondi and Hazel Christie.
26. The Sexual Geography of the City: Frank Mort.
27. From the Other Side of the Tracks: Dual Cities, Third Spaces, and the Urban Uncanny in Contemporary Discourses of ′Race′ and Class: Phil Cohen.
28. Gentrification, Post–Industrialism and Industrial and Occupational Restructuring in Global Cities: Chris Hamnett.
29. Worlds Apart and Together: Trial by Space in Istanbul: Kevin Robins and Asu Aksoy.
30. Value Conflicts, Identity Construction and Urban Change: Lily Kong.
Part IV: Public Cultures and Everyday Space:.
31. City Publics: Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson.
32. The Social Constitution of the Public Realm: Richard Sennett.
33. City Life and the Senses: John Urry.
34. With Child to see Any Strange Thing: Everyday Life in the City: Nigel Thrift.
35. Walter Benjamin, Cosmopolitanism and the Narratives of City Spaces: Michael Keith.
36. "X Marks the Spot: Times Square Dead or Alive?: M. Christine Boyer.
37. Walking and Performing ′The City′: A Melbourne Chronicle: Katherine Gibson and Ben Rossiter.
38. The Street Politics of Jackie Smith: John Paul Jones III.
39. Everyday Life in Bangkok: Annette Hamilton.
40. Streetchildren in Yogyakarta: Social/ Spatial Exclusion in the Public Spaces of the City: Harriot Beazley.
41. Cyberspace and the City: The Virtual City in Europe: Alessandro Aurigi and Steve Graham.
Part V: Urban Politics and Urban Interventions:.
42. City Interventions: Gary Bridge and Sophie Watson.
43. Planning in Relational Space and Time: Responding to New Urban Realities: Patsy Healey.
44. The Social Construction of Urban Policy: Allan Cochrane.
45. Urban Planning in the Late Twentieth Century: Patrick Troy.
46. Varied Legacies of Modernism in Urban Planning: Alan Mabin.
47. The Environment of the City ... or the Urbanisation of Nature: Erik Swyngedouw and Maria Kaika.
48. Power and Urban Poltics Revisited: The Uses and Abuses of North American Urban Political Economy: Alan Harding.
49. Social Justice and the City: Equity, Cohesion and the Politics of Space: Fran Tonkiss.
50. Property Relations and Planning in European Urban Development: Michael Edwards.
51. The Politics of Universal Provision of Public Housing: Chua Beng–Huat.
52. Reintegrating the Apartheid City? Urban Policy and Urban Restructuring in Durban: Alison Todes.