Part I: About trees:.
1. Trees before the coming of humans.
2. How trees work.
3. About wood.
4. Other forest products.
5. Further benefits from trees.
6. The scope for management.
Part II: People and trees:.
7. The origins and spread of humans.
8. Britain up to Roman times.
9. Mediterranean forests in classical times.
10. Britain after the Romans.
11. The poor man′s overcoat.
12. The European assault on the tropical forests.
13. The development of forest science.
Part III: The state of the world′s forests:.
14. The World′s forest cover.
17. British India and after.
22. The Philippines.
Part IV: The main forest issues:.
23. The tropical forests.
24. The road to famine.
25. Forests in the rich countries.
Part V: Making trees serve people:.
26. Social forestry.
28. Involving people in forestry.
29. Forestry aid.
30. Foresters and forest policies.
"Sadly this is Jack Westoby′s last book: there could be no better epitaph." Times Higher Education Supplement