List of Tables.
Introduction: What is Early Intervention? (Maurice A. Feldman).
Part I: A Model of Early Intervention.
Introduction To Chapter 1.
1. Effectiveness of Early Intervention for Vulnerable Children: A Developmental Perspective. (Michael J. Guralnick).
Part II: Early Out–of–home Programs: Primary Prevention of Cognitive Deficits and School Failure in At–risk Children.
Introduction to Chapter 2.
2. Applying the findings of developmental psychology to improve early childhood intervention. (Edward Zigler and Sally J. Styfco).
Introduction to Chapter 3.
3. Persistent Effects of Early Childhood Education on High–risk Children and Their Mothers. (Craig T. Ramey, Frances A. Campbell, Margaret Burchinal, Martie L. Skinner, David M. Gardner, and Sharon L. Ramey).
Introduction to Chapter 4.
4. Day–care Participation as a Protective Factor in the Cognitive Development of Low–income Children. (Margaret O′Brien Caughy, Janet A. DiPietro, and Donna M. Strobino).
Part III: Secondary and Tertiary Prevention Programs for Children with Established Disabilities.
Introduction to Chapter 5.
5. The Effectiveness of Early Intervention: Examining Risk Factors and Pathways to Enhanced Development. (Lisa J. Berlin, Jeanne Brooks–Gunn, Cecelia McCarton, and Marie C. McCormick).
Introduction to Chapter 6.
6. Randomized Trial of Intensive Early Intervention for Children with Pervasive Developmental Disorder. (Tristram Smith, Annette D. Groen, and Jacqueline W. Wynn).
Part IV: Home Visiting Programs: Primary and Secondary Prevention in At–risk Children.
Introduction to Chapter 7.
7. Effectiveness of Home–based Early Intervention on the Language Development of Children of Mothers with Mental Retardation. (Maurice A. Feldman, Bruce Sparks, and Laurie Case).
Introduction to Chapter 8.
8. Effects of Early Intervention on Psychiatric Symptoms of Young Adults in Low–risk and High–risk Families. (Eeva T. Aronen and Terttu Arajarvi).
Introduction to Chapter 9.
9. Long–term Effects of Nurse Home Visitation on Children s Criminal an Antisocial Behavior: Fifteen–year Follow–up of a Randomized Controlled Trial. (David Olds, Charles R. Henderson, Jr. Robert Cole, John Eckenrode, Harriet Kitzman, Dennis Luckey, Lisa Pettitt, Kimberly Sidora, Pamela Morris, and Jane Powers).
Part V. Family Aspects.
Introduction to Chapter 10.
10. Revisiting "Rethinking Early Intervention". (Carl J. Dunst).
Introduction to Chapter 11.
11. The Effect of Early Intervention Services on Maternal Well–being. (Marji Erickson Warfield, Penny Hauser–Cram, Marty Wyngaarden Krauss, Jack P. Shonkoff, Carole C. Upshur).
Introduction to Chapter 12.
12. Family Predictors of Maternal and Paternal Involvement in Programs for Young Children with Disabilities. (Susana Gavidia–Payne and Zolinda Stoneman).
Part VI. Future Directions.
13. Conclusion: The future of Early Intervention Research and Practice. (Maurice A. Feldman).