Utilizing his groundbreaking development of the field of subjective well–being, Dr. Ed Diener, recognized as the world′s leading expert on happiness, challenges our modern assumptions about the causes and consequences of happiness. Ed and his son Robert Biswas–Diener share the results of three decades of research on happiness to help unlock the mysteries of this elusive Holy Grail. In Happiness the father and son team presents scientific evidence revealing that happiness is not overrated, and is good for people s health, social relationships, job success, longevity, and altruism. They also show why "super–happiness" is not a worthy goal.
Part 1: Understanding true wealth.
1. Psychological Wealth: The Balanced Portfolio.
2. Two Principles of Psychological Wealth.
Part 2: Happy people function better.
3. Health and Happiness.
4. Happiness and Social Relationships: You Can t Do Without Them.
5. Happiness at Work: It Pays to be Happy.
Part 3: Causes of happiness and genuine wealth.
6. Can Money Buy Happiness?
7. Religion, Spirituality, and Happiness.
8. The Happiest Places on Earth: Culture and Well–being.
9. Nature and Nurture Is There a Happiness Set–Point, and Can You Change It?
10. Our Crystal Balls: Happiness Forecasting.
11. Taking AIM: Attention, Interpretation, and Memory.
Part 4: Putting it all together.
12. Yes, You Can Be Too Happy.
13. Living Happily Ever After.
14. Measuring Your Psychological Wealth.
Epilogue: About the Science of Happiness.