The book makes a major contribution to understanding how welfare policy in Europe will develop over the next few years. It offers an original and wide-ranging account of the forces affecting the direction of policy, and stresses the role of social and political institutions in explaining why countries differ.
European Welfare Futures will be essential reading for undergraduates, graduate students and scholars in social policy, sociology, political science, area studies and international relations courses. It will also be of great interest to policy-makers in the EU, especially in the areas of pensions, health, social care and unemployment.
List of Tables.
1. Explanations of the Growth of State Welfare.
2. New Directions in European Welfare Policy.
3. Globalization and the Welfare State.
4. Welfare Politics: The Narrowing of the National Conscience.
5. The Neo-liberal Argument for Welfare Retrenchment.
6. Squaring the Welfare Circle.
7. The Impact of Institutional Frameworks.
8. European Welfare Futures.
Vic George University of Kent.
Peter Taylor-Gooby Darwin College, University of Kent.