The book covers a broad range of topics, including unrepresented litigants, public defenders, self–help legal services, state– and market–based alternatives to legal aid, and the adaptation of common law court procedures to aboriginal culture. Drawing on original research from Australia, the United States and Europe, it emphasises the tensions between efficiency, equality, and justice.
2. Adversarial Mythologies: Policy Assumptions and Research Evidence in Family Law: Rosemary Hunter (Professor of Law and Director, Socio–Legal Research Centre, Law School, Griffith University).
3. Large Scale Map or the A–Z? The Place of Self Help Services in Legal Aid: Jeff Giddings (Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, Griffith University) and Michael Robertson (Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, Griffith University).
4. Targeting Legal Need: First Findings of the LSRC Periodic Survey: Pascoe Pleasence (Legal Services research Centre), Hazel Genn (Faculty of Laws, University College, University of London), Nigel J. Balmer, Alexy Buck and Aoife O Grady (all Legal Services Research Centre).
5. Legal Expenses Insurance Germany s Funding Concept As A Role Model: Matthias Kilian (Director of the Soldan Institute For Law Practice Management, Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Law, University of Cologne).
6. The Law and the Desert: Alternative Methods of Delivering Justice: Louise Anderson (Native Title Registrar, Federal Court of Australia).
7. The Swedish Legal Services Policy Remix: The Shift from Public Legal Aid to Private Legal Expense Insurance: Francis Regan (Senior Lecturer in Legal Studies, Flinders University Adelaide, Australia).
8. Changing Patterns of Legal Representation in Divorce: From Lawyers to Pro Se: Lynn M. Mather.
9. Evaluating the Scottish Public Defence Solicitors Office: Tamara Goriely (former Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London).
10. The Contingency Legal Aid Fund: A Third Way to Finance Personal Injury Litigation: David Capper (Reader in Law, Queen s University, Belfast).