The spectrum of what is termed an eating disorder now includes obesity, and new conditions such as binge eating disorder have emerged. In this new edition, many chapters now encompass both the lean and obese ends of the spectrum so that each may benefit from understanding gained in the other. To further encourage this synthesis and consensus, chapter authors have been paired with colleagues in other schools, countries or disciplines.
However, like the previous edition, the Handbook of Eating Disorders, Second Edition provides a clear, coherent, readable and authoritative overview of this rapidly developing field that will be welcomed by all clinicians and researchers in the eating disorders field.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. Concepts of Eating Disorders (Bob Palmer).
2. Epidemiology (Daphne van Hoeken, Jacob Seidell and Hans Wijbrand Hoek).
3. Genetic Aetiology of Eating Disorders & Obesity (Elizabeth Winchester and David Collier).
4. Biology of Appetite and Weight Regulations (Frances Connan and Sarah Stanley).
5. Basic Neuroscience and Scanning (Martina de Zwaan).
6. Attachment and Childhood Development (Anne Ward and Simon Gowers).
7. Cognitive and Behavioral Models (Roz Shafran and Padmal de Silva).
8. Sociocultural Models (Mervat Nasser and Melanie Katzman).
9. Psychological Factors (Lucy Serpell and Nicholas Troop).
10. Medical Complications (Stephen Zipfel, Bernd Lowe and Wolfgang Herzog).
11. Family, Burden of Care and Social Consequences (Søren Nielsen and Núria Bara–Carril)
12. Treatment Overview (Janet Treasure and Ulrike Schmidt).
13. Motivation (Beatrice Bauer and Janet Treasure ).
14. Cognitive Behavioural Treatments (Glenn Waller and Helen Kennerley).
15. Interpersonal Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Eating Disorders (Denise Wilfley, Rick Stein and Robinson Welch).
16. Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (Bob Palmer and Helen Birchall).
17. Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Claire Tanner and Frances Connan).
18. Family Interventions (Ivan Eisler, Daniel leGrange and Eia Asen).
19. Drug Treatments (Tijs Bruna and Jaap Fogteloo).
20. Eating Disorder Services (Lorna Richards).
21. Day Treatments (Paul Robinson).
22. In–patient Treatment (Anthony Winston and Peter Webster).
23. Eating Disorders Males (Manfred Fichter and Krenn Heidelinde).
24. Athletes and Dancers (Jorunn Sundgot–Borgen, Fin Skarderud and Sheelagh Rodgers).
25. Comorbitity of Diabetes Mellitus (Stephen Herpetz and Søren Nielsen).
26. Children and Young Adolescents (Dasha Nicholls and Rachel Bryant–Waugh).
27. From Prevention to Health Promotion (Runi Borrensen and Jan Rosenvinge).
28. Early Identification (Greta Noordenbos).
" exceptional text that really brings the current literature to life a must have bench–book within any eating disorder service (European Eating Disorders Review, Vol 12 No 5 Sept–Oct 2004)
It has given me great pleasure to read this book the handbook is of great use both clinically and scientifically (European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry No.13 2004)
"...excelling overview...is a valuable contribution to everyone working in the fields of eating disorders..." (Journal of Psychosomatic Research, June 2006)