- Offers numerous ethnographic examples from the Middle East and North Africa
- Explores key concepts, including the doctrinal foundations of Islam; the role of religious scholars; the five pillars; and Islamic “orthodoxy”
- Includes discussion of spirit-possession cults as integral part of Islamic tradition
- Introduces politics and current affairs as key elements in understanding contemporary Islamic discourse
Transliteration and Abbreviations.
1. The Islamic Community through History.
2. The Foundations of Islamic Doctrine and the Community of Believers.
3. Authority and Knowledge.
4. The Five Pillars.
5. Islamic Mysticism.
6. Islamic Reformism.
7. Islamism: A General Overview.
8. Islamism at the Local Level.