In addition to a solid introduction to directories and the LDAP standard this book also provides:
∗ an in–depth description of the LDAP technology including IETF standards, concepts and interfaces (DSML, LDIF etc)
∗ step by step help with designing the data model of the directory and its architectural platform
∗ real life examples
∗ detailed information on developing directory enabled applications, with code examples
∗ a description of the tools needed to implement an enterprise directory, featuring meta–directories, LDAP proxies, directory content management and directory administration
∗ a description of LDAP applications and the business benefits of an enterprise directory including return on investment
LDAP: Building an enterprise directory is an indispensable guide for operational decision makers who wish to understand what directories can bring to information systems and to a business as a whole. It is also a key reference source for technicians involved in LDAP implementation.
What is the Aim of this Book?
Structure of the Book.
For Whom is this Book Intended?
PART 1: DIRECTORIES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS.
1. Directories Overview.
2. The History of Directories and an Introduction to LDAP.
3. LDAP Directories and Their Applications.
PART 2: THE LDAP STANDARD.
4. LDAP Standard and its Client–Server Model.
5. The LDAP Models.
6. LDAP Interfaces and the Future of the Standard.
PART 3: THE DESIGN PHASE.
7. Functional Design.
8. Technical Design.
9. LDAP Tools and Applications.
10. Case Studies.
11. The Life Cycle of a Corporate Directory.
PART 4: EXAMPLES OF CODE.
12. Examples of Code in C and C++.
13. Examples of ADSI Implementation.