This practical treatment handbook:
- draws upon the expertise of several internationally recognised clinical and research programs
- ntegrates reviews of the relevant research literature with illustrative case examples
- covers critical issues for the clinician in focal chapters on suicide prevention, comorbid cannabis abuse, and family work
- describes several modalities of treatment, such as multi–family psychoeducation, group work, psychodynamic and cognitive behavioural approaches.
Specialist early psychosis services are developing rapidly worldwide. Psychological Interventions in Early Psychosis will be an essential resource for clinicians and service leaders alike.
Jean Addington, Canada
Karen Barton, UK
Max Birchwood, UK
Peter Burnett, Australia
Johan Cullberg, Sweden
Larry Davidson, USA
Jane E. Edwards, Australia
Kathryn Elkins, Australia
Gráinne Fadden, UK
Paul R. Falzer, USA
Shona M. Francey, Australia
Donna Gee, Australia
John F.M. Gleeson, Australia
Gillian Haddock, UK
Kate Hardy, UK
Lisa Henry, Australia
Tanya Herrmann–Doig, Australia
Mark Hinton, UK
Zaffer Iqbal, UK
Chris Jackson, UK
Jan–Olav Johannessen, Norway
Ashok K. Malla, Canada
Rufus May, UK
Terry S. McLean, Canada
Patrick D. McGorry, Australia
Ross M.G. Norman, Canada
Lisa J. Phillips, Australia
Paddy Power, UK
Ron Siddle, UK
David A. Stayner, USA
Darryl L. Wade, Australia
1. An Overview of the Background and Scope for Psychological Interventions in Early Psychosis (Patrick D. McGorry).
2. Changing PACE: Psychological Interventions in the Prepsychotic Phase (Lisa J. Phillips and Shona M. Francey).
3. Cognitive–Behavioural Therapy for Acute and Recent–Onset Psychosis (Ron Siddle and Gillian Haddock).
4. Psychological Intervention in Recovery from Early Psychosis: Cognitively Oriented Psychotherapy (Lisa Henry).
5. The Dynamics of Acute Psychosis and the Role of Dynamic Psychotherapy (Johan Cullberg and Jan–Olav Johannessen).
6. Working with Families in the Early Stages of Psychosis (Jean Addington and Peter Burnett).
7. A Group Psychotherapeutic Intervention During Recovery From First–Episode Psychosis (Ashok K. Malla, Terry S. McLean and Ross M.G. Norman).
8. Cannabis and Psychosis: A Psychological Intervention (Kathryn Elkins, Mark Hinton and Jane Edwards).
9. The First Psychotic Relapse: Understanding the Risks, and the Opportunitie s for Prevention (John F.M. Gleeson).
10. Suicide Prevention in Early Psychosis (Paddy Power).
11. Psychological Treatment of Persistent Positive Symptoms in Young People with First–Episode Psychosis (Jane Edwards, Darryl Wade, Tanya Herrmann–Doig and Donna Gee).
12. Cognitive Therapy and Emotional Dysfunction in Early Psychosis (Max Birchwood, Zaffer Iqbal, Chris Jackson and Kate Hardy).
13. Principles and Strategies for Developing Psychosocial Treatments for Negative Symptoms in Early Course Psychosis (Paul R. Falzer, David A. Stayner and Larry Davidson).
14. Making Sense of Psychotic Experience and Working Towards Recovery (Rufus May).
15. Psychological Therapies: Implementation in Early Intervention Services (Gráinne Fadden, Max Birchwood, Chris Jackson and Karen Barton).