List of tables.
Part I: Changing Families: Introduction:.
1. Social Reconstruction and the Emergence of Companionate Marriage, 1945-59: Janet Finch and Penny Summerfield.
2. Liberalizing Heterosexuality?: Gail Hawkes.
3. The One and the Many: Modernity and Post-Modernity: David Cheal.
Part II: Marriage, Intimacy and Power: Introduction:.
4. Love and Intimacy: The Gender Division of Emotion and 'Emotion Work': a Neglected Aspect of Sociological Discussion of Heterosexual Relationships: Jean Duncombe and Dennis Marsden.
5. Partners by Choice: Equality, Power and Commitment in Non-Heterosexual Relationships: Jeffrey Weeks, Brian Heaphy and Catherine Donovan.
6. Money, Power and Equality in Marriage: Carolyn Vogler and Jan Pahl.
7. Uncovering Gender Differences in the Use of Marital Violence: The Effect of Methodology: James Nazroo.
Part III: Domestic Organisation:.
8. Cohabitation or Marriage? - Cohabitation: Susan McRae.
9. Women's Work: Nickie Charles and Marion Kerr.
10. The Household and the Labour Market: Lydia Morris.
Part IV: Divorce and Lone-Parenthood:.
11. Diversity and Ambiguity Among Lone-Parent Households in Modern Britain: Graham Crow and Mike Hardey.
12. State, Family and Personal Responsibility: The Changing Balance for Lone Mothers in the United Kingdom: Jane Millar.
13. The Interests of Children at Divorce: Martin Richards.
Part V: Family, Kinship and Care. Introduction:.
14. The Informal Sector of Welfare: A Crisis in Caring: Hilary Graham.
15. Obligations of Kinship in Contemporary Britain: Is There Normative Agreement? Janet Finch and Jennifer Mason.
16. Gender Differences in Informal Caring: Sara Arber and Jay Ginn.
17. Living with Disability: The Experiences of Parents and Children: Sally Baldwin and Jane Carlisle.