The book includes important data on racial diversity and gender representation in fields such as law and medicine, giving an accurate and up–to–date overview of two major professions. Also included in the book are definitions of key terms, and over 75 original tables and figures, making this an accomplished text on contemporary organizations and professional labor.
List of Tables.
1. Professional and Managerial Work in the 21st Century.
2. Conceptual Background: The Expert Division of Labor and Professional Work.
3. Managers and Managerial Work in the 20th Century.
4. The Neoentrepreneurial Workplace.
5. Theoretical Models of Professional Work.
6. Change in the Organizational Context of Managerial and Professional Work.
7. Interest Diversity and Demographic Diversity Among Professionals.
8. Organizations as Vehicles for Producing Stratification Among Professionals.
9. Conclusion: The Rise of the Postorganizational Workplace.
Additional Readings on Professions.