This comprehensive and timely reader covers a range of topics including critical race theory, class and nationality, multiracial feminism, mixed race, the whiteness debates, cultural citizenship, and globalization. The contributors include Angela Davis, Stuart Hall, Richard Delgado, Robert Miles, Michael Eric Dyson, Saskia Sassen, Etienne Balibar, Patricia Hill Collins, Renato Rosaldo, Stanley Arononwitz, Collette Guillaumin, Nira Yuval–Davis, and Maxine Baca Zinn.
Table of Contents.
Part I: Mapping The Languages of Racism:.
1. Does "Race" Matter? Transatlantic Perspectives on "Race Relations": Robert Miles and Rodolfo D. Torres.
2. I know it′s not nice, but..."The changing face of ′race′": Colette Guillaumin.
3. The contours of racialization: Private structures, representations and resistance in the United States: Stephen Small.
4. Marxism, racism, and ethnicity: John Solomos and Les Back.
5. Postmodernism and the politics of racialized identities: Louis F. Mir¢n.
Part II: Critical Multiracial Feminism:.
6. Theorizing difference from multiracial feminism: Maxine Baca Zinn and Bonnie Thornton Dill.
7. Ethnicity, gender relations and multiculturalism: Nira Yuval–Davis.
8. What′s in a name? Womanism, black feminism, and beyond: Patricia Hill Collins.
Part III: Fashioning Mixed Race:.
9. The colorblind multiracial dilemma: Racial categories reconsidered: John A. Powell.
10. Multiracial Asians: Models of ethnic identity: Maria P. P. Root.
11. Cipherspace: Latino identity past and present: J. Jorge Klor de Alva.
Part IV: The Color(s) of Whiteness:.
12. Establishing the fact of whiteness: John Hartigan, Jr.
13. Constructions of whiteness in European and American anti–racism: Alastair Bonnett.
14. The labor of whiteness, the whiteness of labor, and the perils of whitewashing: Michael Eric Dyson.
15. The trickster′s play: Whiteness in the subordination and liberation process: A¡da Hurtado.
Part V: Cultural Citizenship, Multiculturalism, And The State:.
16. Citizenship: Richard Delgado.
17. Cultural citizenship, inequality, and multiculturalism: Renato Rosaldo.
18. Cultural citizenship as subject making: Immigrants negotiate racial and cultural boundaries in the United States: Aihwa Ong.
Part VI: Locating Class:.
19. The site of class: Edna Bonacich.
20. Between nationality and class: Stanley Aronowitz.
21. Class racism: Etienne Balibar.
Part VII: Globalized Futures And Racialized Identities:.
22. Multiculturalism and flexibility: Some new directions in global capitalism: Richard P. Appelbaum.
23. Analytic Borderlands: Race, gender and representation in the new city: Saskia Sassen.
24. Globalization, the racial divide, and a new citizenship: Michael C. Dawson.
Part VIII: Critical Engagements:.
25. Interview Stuart Hall: Cultural and power: Peter Osborne and Lynne Segal.
26. Angela Y. Davis: reflections on race, class, and gender in the USA: Lisa Lowe.