- Presents a sound treatment of the fundamentals in probability and statistics.
- Explains the concept of probabilistic modelling and the process of model selection, verification and analysis.
- Provides self–contained material with smooth and logical transition from chapter to chapter.
- Includes relevant and motivational applications in every chapter with numerous examples and problems.
- Demonstrates practical problem solving throughout the book with stimulating exercises, including answers to selected problems.
- Includes an accompanying online Solutions Manual for instructors with complete step–by–step solutions to all problems. (URL)
Part A: Probability and Random Variables.
2. Basic Probability Concepts.
3. Random Variables and Probability Distributions.
4. Expectations And Moments.
5. Functions of Random Variables.
6. Some Important Discrete Distributions.
7. Some Important Continuous Distributions.
Part B: Statistical Inference, Parameter Estimation, and Model Verification.
8. Observed Data and Graphical Representation.
9. Parameter Estimation.
10. Model Verification.
11. Linear Models and Linear Regression.
Appendix A: Tables.
Appendix B: Computer Software.
Appendix C: Answers to Selected Problems.
For most practising engineers, this book would make a superb reference text, simply because there are so many worked examples, all extremely relevant to engineers. (Significance, 1 March 2005)