from the Foreword by Warren Bennis
Leading CEOs and Leadership Gurus Enthusiastically Endorse Bill George′s Authentic Leadership
"Anyone interested in how to become an effective leader should meet Bill George, former CEO of one of America’s finest companiesMedtronic."
Arthur Levitt, former chairman, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
"Authentic Leadership is a powerful call for genuine and ethical business leadership, made ever more persuasive by Bill George′s own extraordinary life."
Walter Mondale, former vice president of the United States
"This is the best book by a business leader that I’ve ever read!"
John C. Whitehead, former chairman and CEO, Goldman Sachs
"Bill George is one of the most successful business leaders of all time."
Richard M. Kovacevich, chairman and CEO, Wells Fargo
"In a time when ethical leadership has more value than ever, Bill George shows us the way with clarity and conviction."
Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence and Primal Leadership
"Bill George has won a legendary reputation for success and integrity in American enterprise. Read and grow!"
David Gergen, Center for Public Leadership, Harvard University, and author of Eyewitness to Power
"I had a wonderful opportunity to learn from Bill George in several business ventures. Here, Bill gives a broader audience a chance to benefit from his wisdom."
Jeffrey Immelt, chairman and CEO, General Electric
"Authentic Leadership is a priceless dialogue with Bill George, unquestionably America’s preeminent steward of corporate integrity. This book is destined to be a classic."
Harvey Mackay, author of Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
"In Authentic Leadership, Bill George shows why he is recognized as one of the world’s best corporate leaders."
Hank McKinnell, chairman and CEO, Pfizer
See inside the book for more praise about Authentic Leadership.
Foreword xvWarren Bennis
Preface: A New Generation of Leaders xvii
Introduction: Where Have All the Leaders Gone? 1
Part One: Becoming an Authentic Leader
1. Leadership Is Authenticity, Not Style 11
2. The Transformation of Leaders 27
3. Leading a Balanced Life 45
Part Two: Building an Authentic Company
4. Missions Motivate, Dollars Don′t 61
5. Values Don′t Lie 71
6. It′s the Customer, Stupid! 81
7. It′s Not Just the CEO 91
8. Whose Bottom Line: Customers or Shareholders? 101
Part Three: In the Crucible of the Market
9. Seven Deadly Sins: Pitfalls to Growth 109
10. Overcoming Obstacles: Nothing Can Stand in Your Way 117
11. Ethical Dilemmas: When in Rome, Don’t Follow the Romans 127
12. Innovations from the Heart 133
13. Acquisitions Aren’t Just About Money 143
14. Shareholders Come Third 153
Part Four: Beyond the Bottom Line
15. Governance Is Governance 165
16. Sticking Your Neck Out 177
17. Preparing for Succession . . . and Moving On 187
Epilogue: If Not Me, Then Who? If Not Now, When? 197
Medtronic Financial Results 201
Suggested Reading 203
The Author 209