An Introduction to the Mathematics of Finance: A Deterministic Approach, 2e, offers a highly illustrated introduction to mathematical finance, with a special emphasis on interest rates. This revision of the McCutcheon-Scott classic follows the core subjects covered by the first professional exam required of UK actuaries, the CT1 exam. It realigns the table of contents with the CT1 exam and includes sample questions from past exams of both The Actuarial Profession and the CFA Institute. With a wealth of solved problems and interesting applications, An Introduction to the Mathematics of Finance stands alone inits ability to address the needs of its primary target audience, the actuarial student.
- Closely follows the syllabus for the CT1 exam of The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Features new content and more examples
- Online supplements available: [external URL] past exam questions from The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the CFA Institute
- Theory of Interest Rates
- The Basic Compound Interest Functions
- Further Compound Interest Functions
- Repayment Schedules
- Project Appraisal and Investment Performance
- The Valuation of Securities
- Capital Gains Tax
- Yield Curves and Immunization
Prof. Stephen Garrett is Professor of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Leicester in the UK. He is currently Head of Actuarial Science in the Department of Mathematics, and also Head of the Thermofluids Research Group in the Department of Engineering. These two distinct responsibilities reflect his background and achievements in both actuarial science education and fluid mechanics research. Stephen is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, the highest grade attainable in the world's foremost aerospace institution.