Praise for Advancing Social Justice
"An important book that challenges social justice educators to continually manifest our core values and intentions in our practice to authentically engage others with humility and compassion knowing we have memberships in both privileged and marginalized groups and the dynamics of oppression we confront today may be ones we unconsciously participate in tomorrow."
Kathy Obear, founding faculty, Social Justice Training Institute
"In a field where social justice and critical social theory are all too often absent from the discussion, this bold, fresh text offers critical insights and guidance to those grappling with the difficulties of truly engaging in democratic education. Ultimately it reminds us that social justice is not a convenient add–on to student learning. Rather, it is the essence of education."
Nolan L. Cabrera, assistant professor, Center for the Study of Higher Education, Education Policy Studies & Practice, College of Education, University of Arizona
"With a bit of humility and a huge dose of reality, Davis and Harrison provide the reader with a chance to revisit, rethink, and regroup around the topic of social justice and social justice education. They make the topic more accessible for many to examine and explore without rushing to political correctness."
Jill Ellen Carnaghi, associate vice chancellor for students, dean of campus life, Washington University in St. Louis
List of Tables and Exhibits ix
About the Authors xxxi
1. Uncovering Epistemology: Frameworks Supporting a Change Agenda 1
2. A Toolkit for Understanding a Social Justice Paradigm 19
3. From Wealthy White Landowners to Affirmative Action to Proposition 209 to Grutter v. Bollinger: A Short History of Social Justice and Injustice in Higher Education 51
4. Critical Pedagogy: The Foundation of Social Justice Educational Practice 83
5. Situating the Self: Barriers to and Strategies for Effective Social Justice Education 103
6. Media Literacy 129
7. Disrupting Organizational Practices to Empower People 151
8. Strategies for Reinvigorating Social Justice in Higher Education 171
Name Index 225
Subject Index 231