Introduction to Biological and Small Molecule Drug Research and Development provides, for the first time, an introduction to the science behind successful pharmaceutical research and development programs. The book explains basic principles, then compares and contrasts approaches to both biopharmaceuticals (proteins) and small molecule drugs, presenting an overview of the business and management issues of these approaches. The latter part of the book provides carefully selected real-life case studies illustrating how the theory presented in the first part of the book is actually put into practice. Studies include Herceptin/T-DM1, erythropoietin (Epogen/Eprex/NeoRecormon), anti-HIV protease inhibitor Darunavir, and more.
Introduction to Biological and Small Molecule Drug Research and Development is intended for late-stage undergraduates or postgraduates studying chemistry (at the biology interface), biochemistry, medicine, pharmacy, medicine, or allied subjects. The book is also useful in a wide variety of science degree courses, in post-graduate taught material (Masters and PhD), and as basic background reading for scientists in the pharmaceutical industry.
- For the first time, the fundamental scientific principles of biopharmaceuticals and small molecule chemotherapeutics are discussed side-by-side at a basic level
- Edited by three senior scientists with over 100 years of experience in drug research who have compiled the best scientific comparison of small molecule and biopharmaceuticals approaches to new drugs
- Illustrated with key examples of important drugs that exemplify the basic principles of pharmaceutical drug research and development
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
2. Proteins: Structure and Function
3. The Drug Discovery Process
from Target Selection to Candidate
4. Introduction to Biopharmaceuticals
5. Similarities and Differences in the Discovery, Development and Use of Biopharmaceuticals versus Small Molecule Drugs
6. 'Approaching the Same...Treatment of Diabetes
7. The Structure and Business of Bio/pharmaceutical Companies including the Management of Risks and Resources
10. Erythropoietin (Epogen/Eprex/NeoRecormon)
11. Lysosomal Storage diseases
12. Steroids for HRT
13. Anti-HIV protease inhibitor Darunavir
14. Anti-TNF Agents Remicade/Humira/Enbrel/Cimzia
15. The Cholesterol Lowering Drug