- Extensive annotated guides to further reading and suggested questions for discussion at the end of each chapter.
- A greater use of illustrative material, case studies and graphics, which supplement the text in a lively manner.
- Clear summaries of arguments and chronologies of complex events, as well as boxes giving biographical data on significant political figures.
- A range of Internet resources to encourage students to keep up-to-date with a rapidly changing subject matter.
List of Tables.
List of Boxes.
List of Maps.
List of Abbreviations.
1. The Changing Structure of British Government.
2. The Constitution.
3. The Character of the Modern British State.
4. The Executive.
5. The Civil Service.
7. The Electoral System.
8. Parties and the Party System.
9. Voting Behaviour, Public Opinion and the Mobilization of the Electorate.
10. Pressure Groups and Participation.
11. Government on the Ground: the Local Dimension.
12. The Diversity of the UK: Governing after Devolution.
13. The Courts and Civil Liberties.
14. Accountability and Control of Government.
15. Beyond The Nation State.
Appendix: Legal Cases.
References and Bibliography.