Among all OPEC members, Nigeria is perhaps the only country that relies so heavily on foreign firms for services in its petroleum industry. Crude oil refining is its main downstream operation. Yet, it imports at least 43% of its gasoline needs. There are low petrochemicals production due to low capacity utilizations and unavailability of the requisite technology.
Nigeria is among the worst gas flaring nations. The reliance on the foreign workforces for services and productions of gasoline/chemicals, the obvious environmental and economic implications of gas flaring bring into question the long term sustainability of the country's petroleum and petrochemical industry.
Indorama Group and Eleme Petrochemicals Company are two of the biggest foreign based players in the industry presently. The main focus for the petrochemicals industry in coming years will be the fertilizer sector.
Nigerian content policy has come at a right time. It needs to widen its scope to include the petrochemical industry. This will make it possible for the country to change from raw materials to value-added products supplier.
In this industry scenario, this analyzes the Petrochemicals Industry in Nigeria. The report also covers the following:
- An analysis of the global petrochemicals industry in the aftermath of the Japan earthquake and the nuclear disaster in Japan.
- An analysis of the petrochemicals industry in Africa in order to establish the importance of the Algerian petrochemicals industry in the region.
- An analysis of the petrochemical industry in Nigeria including market profile, production statistics of petrochemicals, upstream activity, olefins market, methanol market and the trends in the industry.
- A SWOT analysis of the Nigerian petrochemical industry is carried out.
- Major industry players are analyzed through a company overview, analysis of business segments, a look at their major products and services and a SWOT analysis.
- An industry outlook completes this in-depth analysis of Nigeria’s petrochemical industry.
This report on the Petrochemicals Industry in Nigeria is a complete profile of this growing market in Nigeria.
2. Global Petrochemical Industry
2.1 Industry Overview
2.2 Ethylene Market
2.3 US Petrochemical Market
2.4 Role of the Asian Petrochemical Market
2.5 Growth in the Middle East Markets
3. Petrochemical Industry in Africa
4. Petrochemical Industry in Nigeria
4.1 Industry Overview
4.2 Upstream Sector
4.3 Industry SWOT Analysis
5. Petrochemical Industry in Nigeria: Industry Forecast
6. Major Players
6.1 Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
6.1.1 Company Overview
6.1.2 Segment Analysis
6.1.3 Major Products & Services
6.1.4 SWOT Analysis
6.2 Eleme Petrochemicals Company
8. Research Methodology