South African petrochemical companies are examining alternative fuel production in order to plug the fuels deficit, particularly as refineries are unable to keep up with demand, a situation not helped by the removal of refinery capacity following new legislation that banned the addition of lead to fuel and required drastic reductions in sulfur content.
PetroSA and Sasol are two of industry’s biggest players. Sasol currently operates two synthetic-fuel plants in South Africa that transform coal into refined-oil products and chemicals. It is considering the construction of a third site, designed to meet the growing domestic oil demand and imports.
Southern Africa’s distance from high consumption markets restrains plastic exports. Nevertheless, over the short term, South African petrochemicals production will be more reliant on external demand, particularly from Africa, and price rises for growth in both volume and margins. This will be somewhat undermined by a surge in capacities in the Middle East and Asia coupled with high oil prices, which are fuelling growth in naphtha feedstock costs.
In this industry scenario, This report analyzes the Petrochemicals Industry in South Africa. The report also covers the following:
- An analysis of the global petrochemicals industry in the aftermath of the Japan earthquake and the nuclear disaster in Japan.
- An analysis of the petrochemicals industry in Africa in order to establish the importance of the South African petrochemicals industry in the region.
- An analysis of the petrochemical industry in South Africa including market profile, production statistics of petrochemicals, upstream activity, and the general developmental trends in the industry.
- A SWOT analysis of the South African petrochemical industry is carried out.
- Major industry players such as Sasol and PetroSA are analyzed through a company overview, analysis of business segments, a look at their major products and services, financial analysis and a SWOT analysis.
- An industry outlook completes this in-depth analysis of South Africa’s petrochemical industry.
This report on the Petrochemicals Industry in South Africa is a complete profile of this growingly competitive industry in South Africa that is fast making its presence felt across the world.
2. Global Petrochemical Industry
2.1 Industry Overview
2.2 Ethylene Market
2.3 US Petrochemical Market
2.4 Role of the Asian Petrochemical Market
2.5 Growth in the Middle East Markets
3. Petrochemical Industry in Africa
4. Petrochemical Industry in South Africa
4.1 Industry Overview
4.2 Industry Structure
4.3 Upstream Sector
4.4 Alternative Fuel Production
4.5 Industry SWOT Analysis
5. Petrochemical Industry in South Africa: Industry Forecast
6. Major Players
6.1.1 Company Overview
6.1.2 Segment Analysis
6.1.3 Major Products & Services
6.1.4 Financial Analysis
6.1.5 Company Strategy
6.1.6 SWOT Analysis
6.2 Omnia Holdings Limited
6.3 Petroleum Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa Pty Limited (PETROSA)
6.4 Dow Chemical
8. Research Methodology