To significantly slash greenhouse gases and prepare for climate change, organisations of all sizes will need to undergo an enormous shift in their thinking, cultures, practices and policies. Making this shift will require the use of proven sustainability-based organisational change strategies.
So what are these strategies and why do they work? Bob Doppelt spent years researching how the leaders of both private and public organisations that have initiated and sustained significant sustainability programmes designed and approached them.
His findings, presented in this hugely readable book, demystify the sustainability-change process by providing a theoretical framework and a methodology that managers can use to successfully transform their organisations to embrace sustainable development.
- William McDonough
- Paul de Jongh
Introduction to the Second Edition: Leading Change towards De-carbonisation
Part I: Why some organisations succeed and others fail
1. A tale of two companies
2. What went wrong?
3. A primer on sustainability
4. Socioeconomic implications of sustainable development
5. Sustainability, governance and organisational change (116K)
Part II: The wheel of change toward sustainability
6. Change the dominant mind-set that created the system through the imperative of achieving sustainability
7. Rearrange the parts of the system by organising deep, wide and powerful sustainability transition teams
8. Change the goals of the system by crafting an ideal vision and guiding principles of sustainability
9. Restructure the rules of engagement of the system by adopting source-based strategies
10. Shift the information flows of the system by tirelessly communicating the need, vision and strategies for achieving sustainability
11. Correct the feedback loops of the system by encouraging and rewarding learning and innovation
12. Adjust the parameters of the system by aligning systems and structures with sustainability
13. Aligning governance with sustainability
14. Closing thoughts on the change process
Appendix A: Assessing your organisation's 'sustainability blunders'
Appendix B: Assessing your governance system
Appendix C: Assessing your sustainability change initiative