Renal denervation catheters are categorized into the following: radiofrequency (RF) catheters, ultrasound catheters, and micro-injection catheters.
Growth in the renal denervation market will be driven primarily by a need for a new intervention to treat resistant hypertension.
This technology has the potential to revolutionize the cardiac field, providing a minimally invasive solution where none currently exist.
The global market for renal denervation devices is dominated by Medtronic, St. Jude Medical, and Boston Scientific.
Other key players include Cordis, ReCor Medical, and Terumo
Key Questions Answered
- What is the current and future renal denervation market outlook in the developed and emerging markets? What trends and events are affecting the global market?
- Which are the key, high growth markets that device manufacturers should expand into? Which markets are growing the fastest, and what are the top-selling products?
- What are the unmet needs with the current generation of devices ? How will emerging technologies such as the next generation radiofrequency and ultrasound catheters and new micro-injection catheters fulfill these unmet needs?
- How will current and future clinical trials affect the market? When are new devices expected to commercialize?
- What are the challenges and complications that have hindered widespread adoption?
- With developing the next-generation of devices, what aspects of the technology are device manufacturers focused on optimizing? How will new entrants impact the global peripheral vascular interventions market?
- Competitive assessment: Currently marketed renal denervation products and evolving competitive landscape
- In-depth analysis of unmet needs and adoption trends of different renal denervation devices
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, opportunities, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications
- Pipeline analysis: Emerging products and technologies.
- Annualized total renal denervation diagnostics market revenue by segment and market outlooks by country from 2012-2022.
- Other key topics covered include strategic competitive assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, market dynamics, and implications of the emerging technologies on the market.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global renal denervation market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global renal denervation market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track device sales in the global and country-specific renal denervation market from 2012-2022.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1.2 List of Figures
2.2 Related Reports
3 Market Access
3.1 The Symplicity HTN-3 Trial
3.3 M&A/Key Partnerships
3.3.1 The Cardinal Health Acquisition of Cordis
3.3.2 The Boston Scientific Acquisition of Vessix Vascular
3.3.3 The Medtronic Acquisition of Ardian
4 Unmet Needs
4.2 Nerve Regeneration
4.3 Ambulatory Blood Pressure Readings
4.4 Expanded Indications for the Use of Renal Denervation
4.5 Intervention to Monitor Treatment Progress
4.6 Long-Term Effects
5 Competitive Assessment
5.1 Company Share Analysis
5.2 Major Players
5.2.1 Ablative Solutions
5.2.2 Boston Scientific
5.2.4 Cordis Corporation
5.2.5 Kona Medical
5.2.7 ReCor Medical
5.2.8 Renal Dynamics
5.2.9 St. Jude Medical
5.3 Emerging Players
6 Market Outlooks
6.1 Procedure Trends
6.2 Market Drivers and Barriers
6.2.1 Market Driver 1: Large Disease Prevalence
6.2.2 Market Driver 2: Expanding Indications
6.2.3 Market Barrier 1: Dependency on Clinical Trials
6.2.4 Market Barrier 2: Reimbursement
6.2.5 Market Barrier 3: Development of Competing Technology
6.3 Market Outlooks by Segment
6.3.1 Radiofrequency Catheters
6.3.2 Ultrasound Catheters
6.3.3 Micro-infusion Catheters
6.4 Market Outlooks by Geography
6.4.1 North America
6.4.4 South America
7.4 Forecasting Methodology
7.4.2 Patient Population
7.4.3 Procedure Volume by Type of Disease
7.4.4 Procedure Volume by Type of Device
7.4.5 Average Selling Price
7.5 Primary Research Efforts
7.6 About the Authors
7.6.1 Brigitte Babin, MSc, Analyst, Medical Devices
7.6.2 Linda Tian, MSc, Managing Analyst, Medical Devices
7.6.3 Tyler Fletcher, BSc, Global Head of Medical Devices
1.1 List of Tables
Table 1: Mergers and Acquisitions/Key Partnership
Table 2: Clinical Trials Currently Underway Assessing Other Indications for Renal Denervation
Table 3: Key Clinical Trials Assessing Other Indications for Renal Denervation
Table 4: Company Profile - Ablative Solutions Inc.
Table 5: Ablative Solutions - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 6: Company Profile - Boston Scientific
Table 7: Boston Scientific - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 8: Product Profile - Vessix Renal Denervation System
Table 9: Company Profile - CardioSonic Inc.
Table 10: CardioSonic. - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 11: Product Profile - TIVUS Renal Denervation System
Table 12: Company Profile - Cordis Corporation
Table 13: Cordis - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 14: Product Profile - RENLANE Renal Denervation System
Table 15: Company Profile - Kona Medical Inc.
Table 16: Kona Medical Inc. - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 17: Company Profile - Medtronic
Table 18: Medtronic - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 19: Product Profile - Symplicity Flex Renal Denervation Catheter
Table 20: Product Profile - Symplicity Spyral Renal Denervation Catheter
Table 21: Company Profile - ReCor Medical Inc.
Table 22: ReCor Medical, Inc. - SWOT Analysis, 2015
Table 23: Product Profile - Paradise Renal Denervation System
Table 24: Company Profile - Renal Dynamics
Table 25: Renal Dynamics - SWOT Analysis, 2015
Table 26: Product Profile - ReDy Renal Denervation System
Table 27: Company Profile - St. Jude Medical
Table 28: St. Jude Medical - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 29: Product Profile - EnligHTN Renal Denervation System
Table 30: Company Profile - Terumo
Table 31: Terumo - SWOT Analysis, 2016
Table 32: Product Profile - Iberis Rrenal Denervation System
Table 33: Summary of Emerging Players and Associated Renal Denervation Technologies
Table 34: Global Radiofrequency Catheter - Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 35: Global Ultrasound Catheter - Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 36: Micro-Infusion Catheter clinical trials
Table 37: Canada Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 38: Mexico Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 39: US Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 40: France Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 41: Germany Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 42: Italy Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 43: Russia Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 44: Spain Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 45: UK Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 46: Australia Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 47: China Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 48: India Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 49: Japan Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 50: South Korea Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Table 51: Brazil Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: Steps Required Prior to Treatment with Renal Denervation
Figure 2: Global Company Share Analysis - Renal Denervation
Figure 3: Vessix V2 Renal Denervation Catheter
Figure 4: RENLANE Renal Denervation Catheter
Figure 5: Surround Sound Renal Denervation System
Figure 6: Symplicity Spyral Renal Denervation Catheter
Figure 7: Paradise Ultrasound Renal Denervation Catheter
Figure 8: EnligHTN Renal Denervation System
Figure 9: Composition of Global Renal Denervation by Procedure Volumes, 2015 and 2022
Figure 10: Global Renal Denervation Market Value ($m) - High-, Mid-, and Low-Level Predictive Adoption Models, 2012-2022
Figure 11: Global Renal Denervation Procedure Volume Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 12: Comparison of Major Geography Segments, 2012-2022
Figure 13: North American Renal Denervation Procedure Volume, 2012-2022
Figure 14: Canada Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 15: Mexico Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 16: US Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 17: European Renal Denervation Procedure Volume, 2012-2022
Figure 18: France Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 19: Germany Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 20: Italy Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 21: Russia Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 22: Spain Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 23: UK Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 24: APAC Renal Denervation Market Value, 2012-2022
Figure 25: Australia Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 26: China Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 27: India Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 28: Japan Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 29: South Korea Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 30: Brazil Renal Denervation Sales ($m) Forecast, 2012-2022
Figure 31: Survey Breakdown by Profession
The authors estimates that the renal denervation market in 2012 was valued at $15.5m across the 10 regions covered in this report, which include the United States (US), France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom (UK), Japan, Brazil, China, and India. By the end of the forecast period in 2019, sales will have grown to over $171.7m, with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 41.01%.
The market is expected to see rapid growth over the course of the forecast period, given the expansion of the intervention into the emerging markets and other indications. In 2012, renal denervation was only approved in the European Union (EU). However, by the end of the forecast period, The authors predicts that the intervention will be approved for use in all the countries covered in this report. Additionally, renal denervation will not solely be indicated for resistant hypertension. Europe is expected to see approval of the intervention in both uncontrolled hypertension patients and heart failure patients.
The United States is also expected to see approval of the indication in uncontrolled hypertension patients.
Barriers Significantly Impede the Market’s Adoption
While the renal denervation market is expected to see significant growth over the forecast period, there are several market barriers that are heavily dampening the intervention’s potential adoption levels. Notably, reimbursement has been the largest hurdle for the procedure to bear. Health insurance agencies want to see long-term clinical trial data from sophisticated studies, but the longest follow-up to date is three years in a nonrandomized study. Additionally, the purported efficacy results of the majority of company-sponsored clinical trials have recently come into question, given the use of office-based blood pressure measurements rather than ambulatory measurements. Compounded with several other market barriers, like game-changing technologies from competitors, renal denervation will have to bear a decade of significant scrutiny before the market will really take off and see optimal adoption.
Opportunities to Achieve Competitive Advantage
While there are significant barriers in this market, current and future players can still position themselves to obtain a competitive advantage when the market begins seeing higher adoption rates in the future.
Given that the radiofrequency and ultrasound systems have been able to achieve similar safety and efficacy profiles, competitors will need to offer a differentiator besides the magnitude of blood pressure reductions and a low adverse event profile. Some differentiators include offering significantly different technology that can provide an improvement in the pain levels experienced by the patient, or increasing the simplicity of the procedure for the cardiologist. Additionally, systems that can offer cost savings to the provider will be better poised to compete.